• Register Today It's free!

Trans Problems

zrxsix3rz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xploder
I am getting ready to purchase another explorer, do not know the exact year but its a 98 and up telling by the back hatch and bumpers, its a XLS and it has the 4.0 SOHC with 130000 miles or so on it!

Well the owner of this explorer is telling me that the truck will shift just fine 1st to 2nd but will skip 3rd and go into OD, also the trans will not shift down gears... I don't know if there is a 4th gear or not/what kind of trans it is, nor do I know if I could just shift using low and 2nd options on the column

any input will be appreciated Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any codes?

Any codes?

They said there is a code that pops up when it comes time to shift into that 3rd gear, i will be looking at it this Saturday and I will ask to scan it with my scanner to see if anything pops up

Off topic but i might also get it for cheaper for doing work to her s10... a guy didnt tighten down the wheel right or something, needless to say, the tire came off and bad things happened

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like SSC could be either stuck or jammed or both. Just a suggestion. Has anybody poked at the valve body recently?

Sounds like SSC could be either stuck or jammed or both. Just a suggestion. Has anybody poked at the valve body recently?

Not that I am aware of, my guess would be no

Not that I am aware of, my guess would be no

Back