• Register Today It's free!

trans removal help asap!

bamaland

Reaction score
City, State
picayune,ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport 2wd
ok so since i figured out my slave cyl was bad ive been trying to drop this trans but no luck yet :(

95' sport 5spd 2wd 4.0 v6
whats been removed so far:
the 2 top trans bolts
the upper side bolts
starter
driveshaft
crossmember
2 lower side bolts
the 2 bottom bolts
clutch line & plugs
shifter assy
am i missing something here??

we've kicked, pulled, twisted,bounced and it just wont break free from the motor :(

is there a hidden bolt somewhere? i've looked everywhere and felt everywhere and didnt find another bolt
also is it necessary to drop the exhaust?

i went thru about 20+ pages trying to find a removal thread for the sport v6 5spd 2wd but had no luck :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dangit, can a mod move this to trans section? my bad :/ lol

Can you take a picture of each side of the transmission, pointing toward the engine, from where the rear driveshaft would be? Maybe that would help...

upload the pic to a site like www.imageshack.com and post it here.

Ryan

well its dark out and im sure ill have it out once my ford fanatic friend comes in the morning to help me out(im a honda guy :( haha)

only thing that's still bolted up is the exhaust but i read in a few threads it doesnt need to be removed..
i did remove the trans mount to release the cat's hanger.

idk how its not coming off the ex is super clean underneath.. not a hairs piece of rust :D

other than the dowels theres absolutely no bolts holding that trans on to the motor..

but in the event we can't get it to release in the morning ill take some pics and post em up.

Can you get it to at least ROCK side to side?

Ryan

just my opinion, pry bar and a hammer. just me though

just my opinion, pry bar and a hammer. just me though

This.

and while you got that SOB out (when you do get it out) replace that rear main seal on the motor... don't pass this up.. you'll regret it.

Are you supporting the back of the engine and front of the trans?

If not the input shaft is probably bound up in the pilot bearing and stopping the unit from moving...Raise the back of the engine and support it with jackstands and then try to remove the tranny from the engine...

If not the input shaft is probably bound up in the pilot bearing and stopping the unit from moving...Raise the back of the engine and support it with jackstands and then try to remove the tranny from the engine...

X2! :thumbsup:

I really think your going to have to remove the exhaust as well. The only way I know of being able to do it with the exhaust intact is if there is a 3" body lift on it.

dangit, can a mod move this to trans section? my bad :/ lol

'tis done :)

As mentioned above, prybar and a mallet may be helpful. The trannies have a tendency to stick on the two alignment posts in the engine block. Corrosion between the tranny housing and the pins makes it a pita..

Good Luck!!

thanks fellas.
yea it rocks side to side
i do have a lift :) well 2" blocks in the leafs and leveling kit up front

yes i'll be doing the rear main seal for sure since im doing the front too :p
its only got 82,400 original miles :)

he'll be here soon so hopefully all goes well! lord knows i cant afford to lose another day of work lol

well my help never showed.. been at it for 2-3 hours now trying to break the exhaust loose and the trans.. ive got nothing..mauls,hammers,pry bars nothing worked. :( im at a loss here.. cant afford to hire help as ive been stuck home for 2 weeks now :( i was lucky enough to get a ride into town just to get the part i needed :/

going to take a few pics now maybe im missing something..

Here is a view of a 4R55E bell housing. The M50D looks about the same except the bell housing is a little diff for the starter. Look at this pic and see how many bolt holes there are, plus the pin holes. Are you sure you have all the bolts out?

4r55e2.jpg

thanks for the pic but yea i had them all out.
after much begging to another friend he came out and its already ready to be put back in :)
it took a come-a-long and 2 rubber 3lbs mallets and 2 pry bars to break it loose LOL

didnt have to drop the exhaust at all just twisted it counter-clockwise and had the truck about 2ft in the air and out it came :)

good job :thumbsup:

mine was a PITA to separate also

yea i just went ahead and soaked the dowels in seafoam got them all nice and clean.
its all back in now just gotta bleed the clutch n ill be good to go!

although i will be needing a clutch in the next 40k im guessing so ill be starting a fund for that lol prolly go with the kevlar clutch set from zoom

thanks for all the help guys!

mmm kevlar.... nothing like a good ole clutch that grabs good.. if your going heavy duty clutch... think about heavy duty flywheel, because that beefy clutch, will most likely chew the stock one up if you beat on it.

oh yes of course :)
that's when i'll do my rear main seal too (Wasnt leaking this time)
and probably all the freeze plugs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well.. now im just like wtf..
i started it up for the first time today since installing the trans back in

very slight rubbing/brushing sound at idle coming from the trans
now i have a CEL :(
and the damn clutch still won't get pressure!!

i know i had air in the MC so i disconnected the line from the trans topped off the res
had a friend push in the clutch while i held the compression valve open with a screw driver, did that about 4 times.
then proceeded to bleed the the SC by reattaching the line to the trans
puped the clutch 10 times, waited 3 mins, pumped it 5 more time, waited 2 mins and opened the bleed screw and had a friend push n hold the clutch pedal down again., we did this 4 times.

and still barely any pressure on the pedal couldnt go in 1st or reverse while running, but hits all the gears while engine is off..

did i do something wrong?

Back