Trans slipping 1-2 and 2-3 at low thottle / RPM only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans slipping 1-2 and 2-3 at low thottle / RPM only

usapadyra

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD
Hi there,

Long time reader first time posting.

I bought my 98 Explorer back in March 2021 with 155k miles. Now it has nearly 190k. Ran great when I got it, and continues to do so - mostly. Automatic transmission. Manual says that it is the 5R55E.

Fairly recently, I've been noticing an issue when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, but ONLY when accelerating gently / when the engine speed is low - around 1200 to 1800. It kind of slips, where the engine speed rises a little before landing in the new gear.

Under normal acceleration, which for me is where the engine gets to about 2k RPM, it shifts perfectly. Hard acceleration also always gives quick, clean shifts. Downshifting is fine. Car is always in the right gear after a corner and getting back on the gas, and the kickdown shifting works as it should.

The only other symptom is the time it takes to 'fully' engage reverse or drive when switching between the two. For example, when parking and going from drive to reverse, if I don't give it a couple of seconds and get on the gas too hard or too fast, it will move but I'll get that kind of thump after a sec as it fully grabs. It's been doing this for a while, but figured just old transmission things. With a few seconds left between it's fine.

It's probably worth mentioning that this hasn't come on suddenly. I first noticed a slip from 2nd to 3rd at 176k miles. But it only happened on the first couple of shifts after a cold start and again, only when very light on the throttle. It was winter in Tahoe so figured it was just the extreme cold causing it. Recently I've been driving on a road with works on it, so have been following a pilot car a lot. It's that kind of super-light-on-the-throttle driving where you get it. And it's here where I started noticing it happening between 1st and 2nd as well.

I'd like to get this resolved. I am by no means an expert, but I do have a rough understanding of the basics of an automatic transmission.

My first (optimistic) thought is that it's the ATF, which is defnitely old and burnt. On a paper towel it maybe still has a very slight pink / red tint to it, but it's mostly light or medium brown. And smells like burning - not sweet at all. Please see attached pics. There is no evidence in the work papers that the transmission has ever been serviced. Fluid levels seem good - certainly not low.

Because I definitely don't want to do a flush, my initial plan of action was:

- Take the car to good mechanic and have them drop the pan, clean it, replace the filter and gasket and replace what fluid is lost with new stuff
- Once or twice after this, say at least 100 miles in between, suck out as much fluid as possible via the dipstick and replace with new ATF after measuring what comes out

I was happy to try this out, under the impression that it could do no harm and wouldn't cost that much, so no big deal if the issue were to persist. However, I've been reading a bit more into it, and a lot of people talk about creating a bigger slipping problem, to the point of actually losing drivability, if you change the fluid after it's gone far too long - suspended friction material being the only thing keeping it working as it is etc.

My laymans understanding is that the issue is probably caused by a lack of fluid getting to where it needs to go. Hence why the higher engine speed helps. But I know there are potentially many causes of this.

I'll definitely be taking it to the mechanic for their opinion (recommended place by a friend who has used them for years and is a solid mechanic himself), but I'd really like to hear opinions on whether it is even worth potentially opening pandoras box when realistically, I can still drive the car fine.

Another important point is that I only intend to keep the car for another 6 months, maybe 10000 miles. But then again, my plans keep changing so if it's safe to change the fluid and filter, I'd like to do so.

Thanks for reading my essay. And thanks in advance for any advice or input!

IMG_4721.jpg

Back