Trans slipping/grinding feeling in 1st gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans slipping/grinding feeling in 1st gear

393mach1

Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA
i just picked up this explorer, here are the specs:

4.0 OHV
5 speed auto 5r55e
4x4
126K miles
completely stock

here is the problem:
every once in a while, when i shift into drive, the vehicle has a lot of trouble moving, the transmission will slip and then grab shightly, then slip, then grab again over and over. it almost feels like a grinding because it does it so quickly. it kind of feels like the engine is missing really bad, but it is definately not that because it is reving up. if i drop it down into 2, it stops emidiately. it only does this after its pretty warmed up. it only does it if i shift into drive. if i am driving and come to a stop, when i accelerate again, it is perfectly fine. one time (only once), if felt like it slipped pretty bad, it reved up but did not accelerate at all. also, when i shift into drive, it always (warm or cold) takes longer than it should to actually engauge. the rest of the gears feel perfectly fine, and shiftsmoothly without slipping.

is my tranny shot, or is it something simple?
Also, i did drop the pan and drain and refil the fluid and ad some transmission fixer.

Back