Trans swap 99 EB to 98 EB no gears. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans swap 99 EB to 98 EB no gears.

VCOSH28

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 and 98 Explorer EB
Hey guys. From the research I've done on the site both the trucks have the 5r55e transmission. Both 4.0 4x4. The 98 didn't have reverse so I put the 99 into it. Thought it would be plug and play (or drive) but it won't go into gear. I did take the torque converter from the 98 trans because it had been remanufactured. Was that a mistake? Would having too much fluid cause it to not shift at all? Fuses were checked. I'll keep searching the site for info but if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions please offer them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring is slightly different between the two going to the transmission. I'm not sure what is different but I know the interchange lists 99-01 and 98 separate.

The wiring is slightly different between the two going to the transmission. I'm not sure what is different but I know the interchange lists 99-01 and 98 separate.
Thanks for the quick response. Of course it's different. Could you provide a link or know where I can find that list?

You can look up the Hollander interchange or go to www.car-part.com and it will only list direct fit parts for your year.

What I do know is the internal valve body harness are the same 95-01. The difference is most likely in the exterior transmission harness.

Nothing electrical will cause it to not go into a forward or reverse gear, before trying to figure out the wiring differences I would figure out why it wont go into gear first..

One thing that can cause the loss of both forward and reverse would be a loss of pressure, mainly the pump.

With the engine off check the fluid and note where the fluid is on the stick, then start the engine and check the fluid level again, if the pump is working the fluid level should be at a lower level from when the engine was off. If the fluid level is the same I would suspect a broken pump.

Nothing electrical will cause it to not go into a forward or reverse gear, before trying to figure out the wiring differences I would figure out why it wont go into gear first..

One thing that can cause the loss of both forward and reverse would be a loss of pressure, mainly the pump.

With the engine off check the fluid and note where the fluid is on the stick, then start the engine and check the fluid level again, if the pump is working the fluid level should be at a lower level from when the engine was off. If the fluid level is the same I would suspect a broken pump.

Thanks for the info. Weird since the tranny worked fine before the swap. I'll check it in the morning.

Dipstick showed fluid way above the hash marks. I removed the bolts on three sides of the pan and let it drain for a while. Fluid is now between the two holes. I believe I hear a wobbling sound coming from the trans. Since I determined the transmissions were the same in both trucks I assumed the TC (torque converter) would be the same. If they weren't, could the transmission still go into place and the TC wouldn't engage the pump? The TC's LOOKED the same.

The converters should be the same.

You need to see if the level is lower on the dipstick with the engine running.

The converters should be the same.

You need to see if the level is lower on the dipstick with the engine running.

After getting the fluid level down I ran it and then let it sit for a few hours. When I went back and checked it not running it was a bit into the hash marks. After letting it run for a few minutes the level showed below the upper hole just below the hash marks.

Try it again and this time dont let it run for a few minutes and it dont matter if its hot or cold, let it sit for a few minutes check the level with the engine off and then start the engine and check it again right away, if you can tell the level dropped then hopefully the pump is good, if no drop in fluid level the last thing to check would be the filter before pulling it back out.

If the pump is working and you still dont have any engagement into gear I would make sure to check the transfer case (does it hold in park?). Next install a pressure gauge just to be sure about the pump and or drop the pan and check the manual valve that attaches to the internal linkage, if that's good then maybe the input shaft it stripped or missing.

Thanks for the info. Weird since the tranny worked fine before the swap. I'll check it in the morning.

The number one cause of no movement after install is a broken pump due to the converter not being fully seated back into the transmission, its easy to do if you are not familiar with these components. I see this several times a year through the shop and its very common on the forums.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2002-mercury-mountaineer-tranny-swap.465356/

Try it again and this time dont let it run for a few minutes and it dont matter if its hot or cold, let it sit for a few minutes check the level with the engine off and then start the engine and check it again right away, if you can tell the level dropped then hopefully the pump is good, if no drop in fluid level the last thing to check would be the filter before pulling it back out.

If the pump is working and you still dont have any engagement into gear I would make sure to check the transfer case (does it hold in park?). Next install a pressure gauge just to be sure about the pump and or drop the pan and check the manual valve that attaches to the internal linkage, if that's good then maybe the input shaft it stripped or missing.

The number one cause of no movement after install is a broken pump due to the converter not being fully seated back into the transmission, its easy to do if you are not familiar with these components. I see this several times a year through the shop and its very common on the forums.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2002-mercury-mountaineer-tranny-swap.465356/

Went out and checked the level and then started it and checked again. Stopped the motor, let it sit for a while. Checked it and started the engine again. Level didn't appear to change. I pushed the TC on and it there was only one "clunk". I put the extra tc into the extra trans and there were three. Waiting to hear back from the guy who was helping me put it in. He lined it up and secured the tc and flywheel.

How can the pump get ruined so quickly? Is there a chance I can just unhook the trans and tc and push it the rest of the way in without fully dropping it?

If the converter is not fully seated in the pump gears the converter hub will destroy the pump gears when the engine is started, once this damage is done you must remove the transmission and at a minimum replace the pump.

If the converter is not fully seated in the pump gears the converter hub will destroy the pump gears when the engine is started, once this damage is done you must remove the transmission and at a minimum replace the pump.

I spent half the day getting the trans unhooked enough to move it back enough to check the TC. Compared to my extra tranny on the floor with the TC properly in place, it seemed like it was in enough. I got in touch with the mechanic that I bought it from and he thought the transfer case may have gone into a safe mode or something that switched it to neutral. Suggested getting all tires off the ground and starting the engine and switching 4x4 high and low on. I had three other guys helping me get the trans in the first time and with only one other guy with me today I'm having trouble getting it back in place.

I would remove the converter from the transmission and check the pump gears and the hub on the converter before reinstalling the transmission. Just because the converter looks like it's in all the way now doesn't mean the pump isn't broke.

If you have the transmission in park you shouldn't be able to turn the rear shaft on the transfer case, if it turns then the transfer case may be in neutral.

I would remove the converter from the transmission and check the pump gears and the hub on the converter before reinstalling the transmission. Just because the converter looks like it's in all the way now doesn't mean the pump isn't broke."

If you have the transmission in park you shouldn't be able to turn the rear shaft on the transfer case, if it turns then the transfer case may be in neutral.

I'll more than likely pull the tranny out again. I'll put the TC from the 99 back in and take the good pump from the 98 and put it in the 99.

Back