• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Trans swap from 96 explorer to a 96 mustang

seahawksfan

Reaction score
City, State
seattle washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 awd explorer
as the title states.. is this possible from all i have been able to find out the tranny is the same in both cars and the engines are the same but the explorer uses a different top end and other tuning parts to not be a sport engine.

what i want to know is a tranny swap a straight forward job?

my brother in law has a 1996 mustang 5.0 with a wasted tranny i have a 96 5.0 awd explorer with a bad front end problem if this swap is a straight forward swap, i would gladly sell him my tranny and help him put in it and then go buy a crap car til tax time ;)

can someone who is knowledgeable please answer this burning question?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
The Explorer AWD tranny output/tail section is different and has a flange that bolts to the t-case.

I don't know how easy it would be to swap the tail sections.

seahawksfan

Reaction score
City, State
seattle washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 awd explorer
thank you for the quick reply! but could you go into a bit more detail please?

anyone else care to weigh in on this i would love to see several options or more detailed replies.

i have 2 ways i can resolve my current exploer issue this one topic here is a future solution to my brother in laws problem, so please someone else care to reply?

RockyMtnHigh

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Sorry if I missed it - auto or 5 speed?

seahawksfan

Reaction score
City, State
seattle washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 awd explorer
Sorry if I missed it - auto or 5 speed?

you didnt miss it i omitted it . both auto.

as far as i know both engines from the factory are the same except for the top end, valve train, intake and such.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I just thought of something. Did your brother pull the 4.6 out and put a 5.0 in his Mustang? 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Mustang. I believe the 4.6 has a different bell housing pattern than the 5.0

RockyMtnHigh

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I just thought of something. Did your brother pull the 4.6 out and put a 5.0 in his Mustang? 1995 was the last year for the 5.0 in the Mustang. I believe the 4.6 has a different bell housing pattern than the 5.0

I am not certain, but I thought the SN97 was the first full year of 4.6 builds for the GT...meaning that the 1996's probably had a mix as the 4.6's became available - pretty typical for Ford. And yes, compatibility between the 4.6 and 5.0 is pretty much non-existent.

To the OP: I would guess that the bell housing, ratios and mounts may be different. Could be a big job with lots of surprises. I would check some of the 'stang forums to see if anyone has experience from the other side on this transplant.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I am not certain, but I thought the SN97 was the first full year of 4.6 builds for the GT...meaning that the 1996's probably had a mix as the 4.6's became available - pretty typical for Ford. And yes, compatibility between the 4.6 and 5.0 is pretty much non-existent.

To the OP: I would guess that the bell housing, ratios and mounts may be different. Could be a big job with lots of surprises. I would check some of the 'stang forums to see if anyone has experience from the other side on this transplant.

The SN97 (1999-2004) got the PI heads. All 1996 and up GT's have the 4.6 SOHC two valve engine.