• Register Today It's free!

trans swap questions

98svt

Reaction score
City, State
tampa florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 awd
my 98 x which has 36k miles on it just went through its first trans....it v8 automatic awd and on its way to being 2wd manual trans....my problem/ questions are for those who have swopped transmissions....what is involved and what odd parts i need to complete my swap....also... how tough is the manual trans for the x....i have a pretty stout 302 in the truck (probly the cause of the auto trans failure) and i need a tough enough manual to handle this motor relliably....any help and advice i could get would be very helpfull...thankx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn what motor mods do you got on that thing those are nice #'s

there is a very long list of parts in this thing and even more tuning time, but its worked out good so far.... i see you are going v-8...are you going 4wd also...if you are i am getting rid of all my awd parts so let me know if you need anything that i might have that might help you...

Thanks for the offer, I bought a rolled 1997 Mountaineer with everything I need. It is AWD also, so I should have everything, I'm hoping to push near 300 hp, but I know it will take some mid - hardcore work to get it up that high, along with some decent funds.

i dont wanna be to long winded here but puttin power to the ground in a small block explorer isnt very hard but yes its not cheap either....if you want to buy a kit that will give you EVERYTHING you need to make 350 hp check out a kit from holly that come with heads cam and an intake that makes about 350 hp and you can use ALL of your stock intake and exhaust parts( youll want to have some headers made to get you those numbers) its a great kit , works good in explorers or any 5.0 car or truck and youll love the idle.... but just something to think about hope it helps ya...

which kit is that and how much does that run

Jason

holly makes a kit that some magazines like jegs or summit sell that comes with heads a cam and an intake.....all of which can be bought seperatly and used seperatly.... but holly claims that its a 350 hp kit..... imalmost sure that edelbrock has a kit as well but if not i know for sure that they have heads cams and intakes that will give you about 350 hp if used together.....both kits run about $2,000 to $2,200 or so.... call up jhegs or summit and ask them im sure they'll explain it to ya.....good luck...

Back