• Register Today It's free!

trans swap

bigbadwolf078

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991Explorer
Swapping a trans in my 91 4.0 4wd explorer but having a problem getting the trans up tight. Is there some trick to this or tool to buy? Never had this much hassle changing a trans before, my first ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did the Torque converter seat into the trans , you did install the TC into the trans before trying to mount the trans ? .

Its liked to the motor. Should I pull it off and bolt it to the trans first?

You may have damaged the Torque converter and or Pump on the trans already , I would take the trans back out and inspect the torque converter output shaft for any sharpness or marks ,and look into the trans beyond the shafts Extruding from the inside of bell housing and you should see a brass busing the size of the torque converter pump , it should have cross hatch marks like a cylinder of a motor . But yes ,the Torque converter needs to be seated into the transmission before installation .

Its not back in now. It would only go up to maybe half inch. I didn't try and just bolt it in tight. Also the trans I picked up had a brass kinda shim on the shaft that goes into the tq. The old one didn't have it, I have a 91 and the one I got I pulled off of a 93

Its not back in now. It would only go up to maybe half inch. I didn't try and just bolt it in tight. Also the trans I picked up had a brass kinda shim on the shaft that goes into the tq. The old one didn't have it, I have a 91 and the one I got I pulled off of a 93

hmm , not really sure about the shim your talking about , I have done 3 trans swaps on my navajo and each trans was from a different year . maybe a trans guy will chime in for you .

That brass thing ur talking about, where does it go when I put the tq on the trans?

Its just some ring that goes around that shaft that can slide

When you put the torque converter into the trans turn it while pushing, Clunk 1.. keep turning, clunk 2, now the torque converter is in all the way.

Be sure the converter doesn't move out while stab'n the trans.

Bolt up the bell housing.

Bolt the converter to the flex plate last. You will have to turn the engine by hand to do this. (battery disconnected! don't want it firing up!)

Just got it all in and now nothing. I'm thinking the tq is shot too, was going to grab one at the jy I went to but they didnt have any others that I could grab. The one that was in the truck I tick the trans off of had stripped nuts so I couldn't get it.

well if you pulled the trans with the torque converter on the motor , that pump is probably damaged and will leak fluid , Learned that the hard way .

Me too....I just left mine on it, I knew I should have swapped it...it acts like its in neutrally now. I'm assuming its got to b the tc,its the only other this g to change.

sounds as if its the TC and the pump in the trans . unless the trans was shot when you bought it , been known to happen

I got it back out and going back to the jy 2m. Will one out of a 2wd ranger work? I just have to take the back end off my trans and put it on the other one correct? By back I mean the piece between the trans and t case.

I got it back out and going back to the jy 2m. Will one out of a 2wd ranger work? I just have to take the back end off my trans and put it on the other one correct? By back I mean the piece between the trans and t case.

No a 2wd will not work that way . You would need to Fully disassemble both transmissions and swap the output shaft between them , Not a Good idea for a novice to try , I have taken apart a few auto transmissions to diagnose a problem after they failed and After I put a used trans in its place , but I wouldn't tell someone to try that swap without some Transmission knowledge . just being honest .

Well got another one but it was bad lol so its back to the jy, hopefully at some point I find one that works

Would it b better to buy a new tc? The ones I've seen come off these trucks have all been chewed up and there only 140 new

Wouldn't hurt , make sure you fill it with fluid before you seat it into the transmission . I use Styrofoam cut into wedge shapes like a piece of pie or pizza , and stuff them between the TC and the inside of bell housing to keep the TC in place while installing the trans , it will shred up and fall out the bottom of the trans when started and run .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back