• Register Today It's free!

trans temp gauge?

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
curious as to how some of you have hooked yours up? do i need to tap into the pan or can i run the sensor into the rubber hoses to get an idea of the temp? with me still having a trans warranty, i'd need to have it tapped into the pan by the trans shop. but i will do all the other wiring. i've hooked up gauges before and am just curious as to how a trans temp gauge works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigcheck1 said:
curious as to how some of you have hooked yours up? do i need to tap into the pan or can i run the sensor into the rubber hoses to get an idea of the temp? with me still having a trans warranty, i'd need to have it tapped into the pan by the trans shop. but i will do all the other wiring. i've hooked up gauges before and am just curious as to how a trans temp gauge works.

Mine, a DaKota Digital ( http://dakotadigital.com/ ) electrical unit, is installed in the fitting in my aux tranny filter housing ( I got mine from Summet - Dead Link Removed ). Works perfectly.

Good luck.....

Get an inline filter from Summit, and it will have a place to screw it in.

OR you can get the Perma-Cool filter guage combo.
You get the guage with the added bonus of a useful filter.
The guage send is built right into the filter mount.

I put mine in the metal tube right before it turns into rubber and goes to the tranny cooler. Bought a small pipe cutter and cut out a section and then replaced it with a T pressure fitting that the sender screwed right into.

Somebody is making an aftermarket pan that has a few goodies including a port for a temp gauge.
-James

If you go with a t fitting, you will want to install it on the hard line that goes into the radiator. This is the way the tranny fluid flows.
-Leaves tranny
-Enters cooler thats built into the radiator
-Exits the radiator
-Enters the factory tranny cooler
-Exits the cooler and returns to tranny.

If you tab in at a cooler or one of the hard lines located at the bottom side of your motor you will be getting a tranny temp after its left one or both of the factory coolers. I will try and get some pictures up for you.

since there are two lines to the radiator from the trans, how do i know which one will be the line that is going to the radiator and is the hot one? is it the top or bottom line?

I havent looked at this on my 1st Gens so I am not sure. You should have a hard line going to the top of the radiator like mine. That should be your line.

Trckmagik said:
I havent looked at this on my 1st Gens so I am not sure. You should have a hard line going to the top of the radiator like mine. That should be your line.

there's two hard lines, i was also thinking that the top one will be the hottest line, since it has to travel through the radiator. i'm gonna be hooking up a cooler as well so i guess i have to tap that line as well???? or should i do it to the bottom line as one last cooling before it enters the trans. my gauge, gauge pod and cooler all should arrive here shortly.

The top one will be the hottest. As for the cooler, you can tap the cooler into the bottom lines. I also kept my stock cooler.

sk1er17 said:
Can't remember exactly but I believe 410 has one or had one on his old tranny.
There was a thread on it awhile ago. I'll try to find it later.
-James

Back