• Register Today It's free!

Trans Temp Gauge

SSR

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Ridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Anyone have any idea on a good spot to mount a trans temp gauge, a have a 2 5/8" gauge w/ mounting up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mounting my trans temp gauge was tricky...

I really had to think on how to do it. The only available place was on the dash skirt below the steering column. That would have been less than ideal because the taper of the panel is toward the floor making the gauge difficult to monitor.
Here's what I did...
Remove the push button FWD switch and relocate it to the dash skirt. I put it on the right hand side as far up as it would go and have clearance behind the panel. The wires to the FWD switch were just long enough to reach to the new mounting location.
Where the FWD switch used to be, make a panel to fit that hole. Make it out of metal or plastic. Cut a circle in the panel to accept the gauge. Mount the gauge to the panel and the panel in the hole. TaDa!! excellent mounting location for a trans temp gauge, and... custom location for FWD switch.
Another little hint- Offset the gauge hole to one side to allow for possible mounting of a toggle switch beside the gauge.
Hope this helps...

no pics at this time...

I will go ahead and take a few and see about getting them posted.
Another possible option with less modification would be to check into AutoMeter Gauge Pods that mount along the door/windshield frame. At the time I did my install, they were not available for 91-94 Explorers.

That sounds pretty cool, some pictures would be great. I don't want to use a gauge pod is because I am planning on buying a supercharger, and I am going to put boost and fuel pressure in the pod.

Back