trans temp guage question

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
after a recent trip through the mountains i decided to install a trans temp guage to my vehicle so i would know whether it is my trans getting warm or my engine bc looking at the guage cluster can be misleading. i read numerous threads on people installing these guages and in what i read the majority of the guages were installed either at the radiator or in one of the return lines. i didnt like this idea bc you are not getting an accurate reading of the temperature of the fluid coming directly out of the transmission, youre reading the temperature of the return.

so after laying on my back on gravel and trying to figure out where i would mount the sending unit i decided on the outlet line of the transmission below the fan shroud. i split the line and installed the sender using trans hose and t-bar clamps. this, i believe, would give a more accurate reading of what the fluid temperature is coming out of the transmission.

in the threads i read where people had the sender hooked up on the return lines either after the radiator or after the cooler the temp reading averaged between 150 and 175. well since im reading the outlet temperature i dont have a baseline to go off of as to what the a4ld should read. my temp range is 175 - 200 while driving both in town and short interstate trips today. are there any other people who have mounted there sending units in a similar location as mine? i would like to know what other people who are using this set-up get for their temperatures.

-Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one other question i have is for people using the autometer brand guages. for some reason at night when the guage light is on, the inside of the guage bezel fogs up to the point that i can barely read the temp. there is a defrost vent on the side of the dash there, even when the defrost is turned off though i still get the fogging. im gonna try to pop off the plastic and seal the vent to see if that helps. anyone else have this problem?

I have my gauge hooked up in the same spot. My readings are right about what yours are. I don't think that is a bad reading considering it is right out of the tranny before any coolers. I still plan to maybe add another external coolder next to the factory one infront of the radiator. I figure you can never be to safe.

Four0Sport, ever thought of mounting another sending unit, so you can monitor the temperature of the fluid when it first comse out of the tranny, and again right before. All you need is another sending unit, wire, and a switch that lets you toggle between the two. Aldive did his that way with one of his gauges, so he can monitor two things with one gauge.

My autometer gauges fog up on occasion also. I think it happens more during colder days, like in the fall. It is usually just part of the gauge, not the entire face.

I don't really mind it, it only happens at certain times in the year.

Jack,

My temp sender is mounted in the same place yours is. I wanted to monitor the temperature of the fluid running through the tranny, to check how hot it actually gets. That is more important to me than the temperature of the fluid in the pan.

My tranny runs between 150 and 180, with the occasional trip to 200. If I were to ever see it go over 210, I would immediately stop driving to let it cool down.

Yes, my gauges fog also. I think it has to do with the humidity, and I have not figured out how to clear or prevent this.

just drove my 93 around town to make a few trips.. temp didnt get above 180-190, its a lot cooler today too only in the mid 70s. the last time i drove it the temp was around 90 and very very humid. im gonna drive it tonight to see if it fogs up. i let it sit in the driveway last night running, with the lights on, and it didnt fog up so i think it was a humidity thing.

as far as running another sending unit to monitor the inward temp of the fluid i have thought about that, actually thought about a seperate guage for it too so i could watch 'real time' what the temp is. a friend of mine is giving me a large auxillary cooler he has laying around and ive been thinking about an external filter install. sadly though i need to stop spending money on the truck for a while. trying to save up for gears and SOA in the spring.

Scott.. i totally agree with you. i am way more concerned with the temperature of the outflow of fluid bc it relates to you how hot the tranny actually is. Thanks everyone for all the input, im glad this turned into such a good discussion.

- Jack

just thought i would update with some numbers since ive been driving the 93 alot more lately.

on the interstate in OD up and down hills with downshifts to 3rd the temperature hovers around 150

in town in drive with stop and go traffic, normal driving conditions the temperature is around 180-195

fluid needs changed something fierce and im gathering up stuff when i can find it cheap for a remote filter install, should see those high numbers fall slightly after some fresh fluid. honestly, i do not remember the last time the fluid/screen was changed in my 93.

on a sidenote.. the guage STILL fogs up from time to time while driving at night with the light on. i am thinking of wiring the light up to a switch that i can turn on/off when i want to see the guage. the glare on the windshield annoys me a little bit also which is another reason for the switch.

- Jack

just thought i would update with some numbers since ive been driving the 93 alot more lately.

on the interstate in OD up and down hills with downshifts to 3rd the temperature hovers around 150

in town in drive with stop and go traffic, normal driving conditions the temperature is around 180-195

fluid needs changed something fierce and im gathering up stuff when i can find it cheap for a remote filter install, should see those high numbers fall slightly after some fresh fluid. honestly, i do not remember the last time the fluid/screen was changed in my 93.

on a sidenote.. the guage STILL fogs up from time to time while driving at night with the light on. i am thinking of wiring the light up to a switch that i can turn on/off when i want to see the guage. the glare on the windshield annoys me a little bit also which is another reason for the switch.

- Jack

What was the ambient temp when you got those readings? I ask becuase I've noticed our X runs about 70F above ambient on the freeway and up to 90F in stop/go traffic (I saw 90F above when towing in town).

ambient air temp on my way to work was in the upper 70s, the drives home from work saw mid 60s. driving around town and entering/exiting the interstate is where i get my high readings (lots of shifting).

I'm putting a gauge in the pan next weekend, to mount the gauge I took my 4wd buttons and mounted them to the bottom right hand side under the steering collumn, and the gauge in the hole left where the switches were... I painted a piece of sheet metal textured semi gloss black to match the rest of the plastics, ran the sending unit through a hole I drilled in the floor with a grommet, just need to hook it up. Ill take pics and do a writeup about what I did to move buttons and hookup the gauge if anybodys interested...

i had a few ideas about mounting the guage.. but opted to get the automete pillar pod bc it is being discontinued. it would be nice to see how yours looks and how the 4wd switch looks uner the column. update when you can.

- Jack

I mounted a temp guage the same way, and have about the same readings. I used the little pod and stuck it in the corner of the dash (it doesn't look the best but is functional.. It will be moved later) Its an autometer, not fogging issues. My buddy hooked up 2 sensors, with a toggle but keeps having problems. He thinks the toggle switch has too much resistance, and not letting things work properly. (Personally I think he has a loose wire... the guages might too ha ha)

I have a trans filter added in my truck's outlet line, before the radiator. Many of those filter adapters have a 1/8" NPT port in them, or a boss which can be drilled for it. That should be a fine place for a trans temp sensor. I shall place my next one in the same place in my 98, with a gauge in the "A" pillar. Add another cooler if the temps get much over 175 degrees often.

I was looking at the Mr. Gasket remote filter kit and it seems to have an extra port where the sensor could rest. if that is the case i will be moving my sending unit to that location. just have to put any more modifications on hold for a while, money is tight, real tight. only mods i will be doing are ones i pick up for free, which really are the best ones, dont you think?

Sometime in the next month (or so) I will be adding a trans temp gauge to my '06 Ranger. I will be installing the gauge in an Autometer 2-bay pod on the A-pillar, and the sender in the hard line between the tranny and the first cooler.

I have all the parts, I am just waiting for my new digital camera to arrive. I will write an article (with pictures!) on the install, if anyone wants to wait and see how I do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see that it is well covered - but since there are so many questions, I thought I might add my 2 cents!

Besides, I need to justify the camera! (And it never hurts to bump the post count!)

Back