Trans temp sender location??

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
I know some have added transmission temp gauges, my question is where did you put the sender? In the pan, the line from the cooler, the line to the cooler? Im not sure what to do.

Im going to install a larger cooler with a fan and a gauge ( they have been sitting in the garage for too long) but I am not sure where I want the reading to come from. Question is where?

Steve,

I put mine in the outbound cooling line (between the tranny and first cooler). I wanted to put it as close to the tranny as possible, but found there to be little room under the floor pan. The location I settled on is under the radiator - just before the hard line switches to rubber line.

It is not critical where the sender goes, as the temp reading is relative. As long as you read it from the same place, you'll be fine. Also, I don't think the fluid looses much temperature between the tranny and the cooler.

I used a brass tee fitting, with 3/8" compression fittings to tie into the cooler line.

I think it is more important to monitor the temp of the fluid coming out of the tranny, than going into the tranny. Although, it would be interesting to see how much heat the coolers pull out of the fluid.

Back