Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I'm posting this here, because most probably don't peruse all the sub forums.

I recently purchased the UltraGauge MX model. I'd been running the EM Plus.

The MX model utilizes Manufacture Specific Gauges, one of which is transmission temp.

Personally, I can't stand the way that the ScanGauge brand looks, but they've had trans temp for some time.

If you decide to go with the new UltraGauge MX, the below pic is how I had to set mine up to get it to work.

On a side note, I wasn't wanting to add a trans pan temp sensor, when I knew my OBDII scan tool was picking up trans temp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 763

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, maybe explain what the heck we're looking at? Looks like jumbled up data to me and I'm very good with OBD/data scan tools...

I'm glad the MX can pick it up.

It's not something I've needed but I know people kept wanting it and when people asked about my Ultragauge EM 1.2 I'd have to tell them it didn't to trans temp.
[MENTION=40011]Green98XLT[/MENTION] , That's the setup screen for the trans temp sensor/gauge so it can understand trans temp and display it on one of the Ultragauge screens.

~Mark

I should also note that this is on my '04, which is 11-bit can.
This configuration may not work for pre can systems (2002-2003.)
Once my '03 is running I'll see if it does. If it doesn't I'll try to figure out what it needs.

Or for $10 you can get TorquePro and an ODBII BT module. Access to the same data and a display that doesnt look like ....that...

Or for $10 you can get TorquePro and an ODBII BT module. Access to the same data and a display that doesnt look like ....that...

I looked at some of these that utilize your phone. Using my phone was the deal killer. I wanted a stand alone that's there all the time. Also, where the plug-in device would still allow for the use of the emergency brake.

"that" is the setup screen, not the gauge display..

Here is a shot of how I have mine setup (page 1) but I don't have trans temp (I have the older unit).

attachment.php

~Mark

Here is a shot of how I have mine setup (page 1) but I don't have trans temp (I have the older unit).

~Mark

Lead foot.

Lead foot.

I know! Look at those RPMS! lol

Screen one (with trans gauge) and screen two. Really all that I use.
AVG MPG's is wrong as I'd just swapped the MX gauge for my EM Gauge.

What's up with my Long Term Fuel Trims! Ouch. Still looking in to that one.

Attachments

• Screen1.JPG
    Screen1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 749
  • Screen2.JPG
    Screen2.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 663

I know! Look at those RPMS! lol

Out this way, the speed limit is 75mph and even at 75-80mph I get around 36 mpg with the a/c on.

If I drop it to around 70mph I can get 38-40mpg (40+ if I don't run a/c) but at 70 mph I'm going to get run over by all the bigger vehicles doing 80 mph +

Oh yea, redline on the Honda is 7000 rpms so cruising at 3000 rpms isn't that bad. Heck, I cruise at 5500 rpms @ 80mph-ish on the motorcycle (reline is > 11k rpms)

~Mark

desired gauges

I'm looking for a semi-permanent pid display for a 2003 Explorer Limited. The desired pids are listed below in the order of want (most wanted first). The ScanGauge only lists a maximum of 4 pids and from what I've read not the ones I want. The UltraGauge manual states that up to 8 pids can be displayed but there is no assurance which ones work for the Ford Pre-CAN bus interface. Can anyone verify that one or more of the following work on a 2003 Explorer using either the EM or MX UltraGauge?

1. Transmission fluid temperature degrees F
2. Intake air temperature degrees F
3. Ignition timing (spark) advance degrees
4. Load absolute %
5. STFT Bank 1 %
6. STFT Bank 2 %
7. LTFT Bank 1 %
8. LTFT Bank 2 %

I'm looking for a semi-permanent pid display for a 2003 Explorer Limited. The desired pids are listed below in the order of want (most wanted first). The ScanGauge only lists a maximum of 4 pids and from what I've read not the ones I want. The UltraGauge manual states that up to 8 pids can be displayed but there is no assurance which ones work for the Ford Pre-CAN bus interface. Can anyone verify that one or more of the following work on a 2003 Explorer using either the EM or MX UltraGauge?

1. Transmission fluid temperature degrees F
2. Intake air temperature degrees F
3. Ignition timing (spark) advance degrees
4. Load absolute %
5. STFT Bank 1 %
6. STFT Bank 2 %
7. LTFT Bank 1 %
8. LTFT Bank 2 %

I can check this weekend on my '03 Mounty. Blown heads but still runs at this point. Only thing I'm not sure on is the trans temp.

That will be greatly appreciated! I found an advertisement stating it can do everything that ScanGauge can including TFT but didn't specify for which vehicles.

Okay, got to my '03 Mounty. Opened it up Friday and it was covered in mold. So, a day.5 of distilled white vinegar and a shop vac and she's back to normal. Just smells a lil like vinegar.
Also, OBD II port isn't at the parking brake, it's centered under drivers side of dash.

That's the good news. Trans temp didn't display, but, that may mean that I need to try another code or two. Simply don't have time at the moment but will try by next weekend. 'Load Absolute' as you can see is blank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 494

Same settings but on my '04 Explorer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 482

disappointing results

I was afraid of that. I used UltraGauge's vehicle gauge availability estimator and Percent Engine Load was listed for the 2003 & 2004 Explorer but TFT was not listed for either. Since you could display TFT on your 2004 I was hoping it might also work on the 2003. When setting up the display did you select Ford protocol or just generic? Thanks so much for trying to help me!

If I don't find an OBD-II display that works for TFT I'll have to install a temperature sender in the transmission pan that drives a standard 2 1/8 inch dia. display. I wish I had the talent to design and build an OBD-II interface and a digital display for TFT and some other slowly changing pids I datalog with my SCT PowerFlash.

I just used my current settings for the TFT. I believe there was at least three options. I'll need to go back and try them. Hopefully next weekend if you can wait that long.

no hurry

There's absolutely no hurry. I don't even have the 2003 yet. I've been waiting about 3 weeks for the seller to get her separated parent's (joint owners) lost title replaced and transferred to her name so I can purchase the vehicle.

By the way, do you know what's causing your 2004 long term trims to be other than 0?

There's absolutely no hurry. I don't even have the 2003 yet. I've been waiting about 3 weeks for the seller to get her separated parent's (joint owners) lost title replaced and transferred to her name so I can purchase the vehicle.

By the way, do you know what's causing your 2004 long term trims to be other than 0?

No, it's been driving me nuts. Never gets a spread greater than 10, usually, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been as it is now. Isn't impacted by idle. I tried spraying carb clean and didn't find anything, but engine was "cold." The LTFT is always a positive number. I do occasionally get a rotten egg smell, after driving backwards....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 486

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back