Transfer case elec. to manual shift swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case elec. to manual shift swap

splorin

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Sup' everybody just joined the forum. Wonderin' if anyone knows if you can change a elec. shift BW1354 transfer case to a manual shift just by replacing the the shifter or if the whole t.c. must be swapped? (gettin' sick of crawlin' under there and hittin' the shift motor with a hammer!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the shift motor can be rebuilt so it will save you the trouble of crawling under there an beating it with a hammer.
to answer you question you have to replace the transfercase to get manual.
btw welcome to the 91-94 explorer forums

ok cool, i'll probably just swap it out while i'm doin the 5.0 swap, thanks!

Like you I got tired of that electric motor crap.

Did the swap and been happy ever since. Very easy to do:thumbsup:

This is what I'm talking about!

So CBII, how did you do it, swapped the motor for linkage or swapped the whole t-case?

This is what I'm talking about!

So CBII, how did you do it, swapped the motor for linkage or swapped the whole t-case?

You have to swap the whole t-case. Really easy to do.

Just make sure yu take the everything from your donor vehicle...t-case, shifter, shifter boot, floor plate, and some of the wiring harness if you want to wire it up.

I am also looking at doing this, I want something manual (I feel more in control...LOL) also I want the neutral so I can flat tow.

Does the floor pan unbolt from one with the electric transfercase or does it have to be cut out?

I am also looking at doing this, I want something manual (I feel more in control...LOL) also I want the neutral so I can flat tow.

Does the floor pan unbolt from one with the electric transfercase or does it have to be cut out?
There is a pan that unbolts in the center of the center hump above the transmission.

Cool, I have not pulled the carpet out of mine or looked up from underneath yet, I have seen some vehicles where the floor pan is solid if it is not a manual transmission or transfercase vehicle and was not sure about the exploder.

Ford was smart in all of their trucks and used the same cab, just had different floor plates and steering columns.

Back