• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Fluid - 4.6 V8

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
I hate to open a thread for this, but can't seem to find a solid answer. Is the correct transfer case fluid for the 4.6 V8 Mercon V? I have read that you should use the same fluid as in the transmission, but my transmission takes Mercon SP.

Are there any aftermarket brands worth using? or is the Mercon fluid the best option?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the owners manual for your year it calls for Motorcraft transfer case fluid part #XL-12 and it takes 1.5L. That is what I would put back into it.

I just replaced my transfer case last month. There is "Transfer Case" fluid made by Motorcraft. It is the old Mercon fluid, just renamed. Do not use Mercon V, it reads on it "do not use in transfer cases" or something like that.
They do not sell Mercon anymore, at least I could not find it, and I was not so sure about aftermarket ones reading that it is compatible with Mercon.

Thanks both, I will just grab some Motorcraft Transfer fluid from the dealer. They were surprisingly cheaper than local stores for Mercon SP, so hopefully the transfer case fluid is not too badly priced either. At least I only need the 2 bottles!!

They sell stuff at Autozone that says its for the part #XL-12 ford. thats what i bought.

Back