Transfer case fluid brown within a week after fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case fluid brown within a week after fluid change

Reaction score
City, State
Valley springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
96 Explorer 4x4. I just recently changed the transfer case fluid and it did come out brown, I imagine it’s never been changed being at 145,000 miles. I added new fluid and I went to check on it yesterday and it’s brown again, with a silver color appearing in the fluid. It’s kind of silver but does look white, as if it dripped into the fluid, I know it could be metal shavings but it’s a bit whiter than that. Any idea or anyone else deal with this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What fluid did you use? Any drivability issues that lead to changing it?

What fluid did you use? Any drivability issues that lead to changing it?

Hmm, kind of. For the past 8 months when I let off the gas I hear and feel a metallic grinding noise it almost sends a vibration through the gas pedal. Now it just feels wobbly when I release the gas, and pushing the gas almost seems to hold it in place not allowing it to break? I’m not too sure. I think it’s my front drive shaft, but before I knew this, I suspected the rear differential, changed the fluid. Same thing happened. So I went to transfer case. Still the same. Finally added fluid to my front and it’s gone. But came back due to a leak. Could it be the yoke or just the entire driveshaft? But this is a separate issue. Now the transfer case is acting up, with fluid color I mentioned. But what I’m kinda confused about is why is my driveshaft engaged? I have options to go 2wd or 4wd. It’s always set to 2wd. Shouldn’t the front driveshaft not be spinning?

It’s driven by the differential. Remove the front driveshaft and drive it.

Did you use Mercon V for the t case?

Even a little bit of dirty brown fluid will make it all look dirty and brown. The detergents in the fresh oil also probably loosened up extra gunk inside the case.

Sounds like metal shavings in the oil but keep an eye on it and see if it's just residual left over from the old oil. I wouldn't worry about a little bit of metal in the oil (and by this I mean a slight metallic appearance but nothing you can feel with your fingers). Fill it again and drain it after another week and check for more shavings. You can even re-use the oil and just strain it through a mesh filter (I use one of those reusable coffee filters in a funnel) so you don't have to keep buying oil.

Back