• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Fluid??

coliniscool

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I went to an autoparts store trying to figure out what kind of fluid i need for the transfer case, and how much, but they don't know, and my owners manual won't tell me. Is the transfer case fluid just transmission fluid?? and does anyone know how much i will need?? i have a 97 xlt automatic 4x4.

thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use Mercon ATF (automatic tranmission fluid) for the transfer case. Can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure it'll take a little less than a quart and a half. You'll also need a turkey baster or one of those cheap plastic pumps that screw on to the atf container to get the new fluid in.

Ford calls for Mercon in the the transfer case and Mercon V in the tranny. Don't do what I did my first time and put Mercon V in the TC. Had to drain and replace it with regular Mercon.

Lee

ok cool, can i use something synthetic or should i just go with mercon? i know that b&m has their trick shift transmission fluid and royal purple makes synthetic tranny fluid. has anyone out there tried/can recommend anything else??

I don't think that there are too many people here that use synthetics in the transfer case or tranny. Personally, I would save the synthetics for the engine oil and differentials and stick with Mercon in the TC and Mercon V in the tranny. You may want to check with Aldive though...he's the resident sythetic expert on board.

Lee

1997 FORD TRUCKS EXPLORER 4.0L 6-cyl VIN Code E SOHC
CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........5.0 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........14.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 4R70W Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[2]
Automatic Transmission, Others Initial Fill..........3.0 quarts[2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
2wd ..........9.5 quarts
4wd ..........9.9 quarts
Manual Transmission, ..........5.5 pints
Differential, Dana 35 Front..........3.6 pints[3]
Differential, Rear..........5.5 pints[4]
Transfer Case,Full-time 4wd..........2.7 pints
Transfer Case,Warrner 4405..........3.0 pints

1. When refilling, remove dipstick to provide adequate venting
and allow oil to flow into crankcase.
2. With ENG automatic transmission operating temperature, shift through all
gears. Check fluid level in PARK and add fluid as needed.
3. Fill no higher than 9.5 mm or 3/8 INN below fill plug.
4. Fill to no more than 1/4 to 9/16 INN below fill plug hole.

TORQUES
Transfer case Full-time
Fill Plug.....13 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....13 ft-lbs
Transfer case
Fill Plug.....14-22 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....14-22 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission Maz M50D 5-spd
Fill Plug.....29-43 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....29-43 ft-lbs

CAUTIONS
ENGINE
Crankcase oil level must be no higher than
the 'F' in FULL on the dipstick.
ENGINE
W/ FI, remove the engine oil dipstick when
refilling in order to avoid contamination
of the PCV system.

coliniscool said:
ok cool, can i use something synthetic or should i just go with mercon? i know that b&m has their trick shift transmission fluid and royal purple makes synthetic tranny fluid. has anyone out there tried/can recommend anything else??

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It is compatible with Ford's Mercon requirements and I have had no problems. I am running synthetic in everything right now except for my transmission and front diff (will be soon enough, though).

Lee S. said:
Use Mercon ATF (automatic tranmission fluid) for the transfer case. Can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure it'll take a little less than a quart and a half. You'll also need a turkey baster or one of those cheap plastic pumps that screw on to the atf container to get the new fluid in.

Ford calls for Mercon in the the transfer case and Mercon V in the tranny. Don't do what I did my first time and put Mercon V in the TC. Had to drain and replace it with regular Mercon.

Lee

Whats wrong with Mercon V in the TCase? Rather than go buy new stuff, I already have MercV left from the last Tranny flush and fill....

I have Mercon V in mine also. I thought it was ok to run it in the TC.

Joe

subscribing

Buckshot said:
Whats wrong with Mercon V in the TCase? Rather than go buy new stuff, I already have MercV left from the last Tranny flush and fill....

Don't know the answer. All I can say is Ford called for Mercon V in the tranny and Mercon in the transfer case of my 98. You'd think they did this for a reason...otherwise why use 2 different Mercon specs.

Here's the thread I started about this issue:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100074

I'm sticking with regular Mercon in my transfer case.

Lee

I just bought an explorer and want to change all the fluids...Just so I got this right, for a 97 explorer, 4.0, 4x4:

Auto trans: 9.9 quartes of Mercon ATF (high pressure, let mechanic do it)
Tranfercase: 2.7 pints of Mercon ATF (drain and fill myself)
Front diff 3.6 pints of 75w140 synthetic (use turkey baster to add oil)
Rear diff 5.5 pints of 75w140 synthetic (use turkey baster to add oil)

Correct?
Thanks!

Boost N Juice said:
I just bought an explorer and want to change all the fluids...Just so I got this right, for a 97 explorer, 4.0, 4x4:

Auto trans: 9.9 quartes of Mercon ATF (high pressure, let mechanic do it)
Tranfercase: 2.7 pints of Mercon ATF (drain and fill myself)
Front diff 3.6 pints of 75w140 synthetic (use turkey baster to add oil)
Rear diff 5.5 pints of 75w140 synthetic (use turkey baster to add oil)

Correct?
Thanks!

Transmission uses Mercon V, not regular Mercon.

Back