• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case fluid?

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
2006 eb 4.6l 4x4, trying to find what fluid to use for my transfer case, 180k and has probably never been changed. I keep seeing conflicting answers, some saying that the specification was changed or something, my manual says mercon atf with the xt-2-qdx part number which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used Oriely's "DEXIII/MERCON" equivalent in my 97. From what I understand, "MERCON" brand name is no longer made, so instead of spending money to use the name, other manufactures can only call it "equivalent".

I used the transfer case fluid from local Ford dealer. It works fine for my 2009 XLT.

Transfer Case Fluid from Motorcraft to be safe. It used to be called XL-12 I believe.

2006 eb 4.6l 4x4, trying to find what fluid to use for my transfer case, 180k and has probably never been changed. I keep seeing conflicting answers, some saying that the specification was changed or something, my manual says mercon atf with the xt-2-qdx part number which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
So I've spent a little time this evening reading several different forums and looking at product compatibilities to conclude this:

1) It used to be Mercon fluid in the transfer case
2) Mercon was replaced with Mercon V and that is not to be used in transfer cases, it is stated on the bottle.
3) XL12 Transfer Case fluid was the replacement for the original Mercon
4) XL12 is out of production, almost impossible to find and is quite expensive
5) Recommended replacement fluid can be either Mercon LV or another brand that is compatible.

Attachments

• Mercon LV.JPG
    Mercon LV.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 668

First time to post/reply on the site. While this site was down, I also ran into this same issue.

2007 Explorer 4.0L AWD w/ class III/IV hitch currently with 102K miles. Overall excellent shape, bought with 52K miles in 2017. Transmission rebuilt at ~70K miles in 2018. Went ahead and changed front/rear diff fluids & transfer case fluid at that time. Within the last month I moved and towed ~5K lbs for 1200 miles from Jersey to the South. Now with 102K miles, Iv replaced diff fluids, transfer case fluid, and looking to have a shop perform preventative Mx with my transmission fluid and replace the filter.

I can’t for the life of me recall what Transfer Case fluid I used last change. I had several new Mobile 1 Full Synthetic ATF bottles from another car project, and chose to use this in the transfer case yesterday. After reading this post and others on the forum, I’m doubting my choice.

I assume the smartest choice would be to drain the Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF fluid and re-fill with compatible fluid? My go-to choice would be the Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Thanks for the help guys

Original fluid is no longer available, specifications changed to Mercon LV? I run Amsoil fuel efficient atf in both of my explorers.

Dora Ex

How often do you use 4x4?

I live in a snowbelt, don't drive all the much any more, but use 4x4 a couple of times in the winter for a couple of city miles when there is snow on the streets. I have used Mobile 1 full mecon V that I had bought for my aode mustang and had no issues. I now have the Valvoline Xl12 transfer case fluid in now for a couple of years. No issues

I do have the Valvoline max life full synthetic to put in a T5 that I built for my Mustang. I have read that it is really good fluid. It is mercon 3

Can't see you having a problem with the Mobile 1 as its also full synthetic. Either one should be fine. Your choice.

Just my opinion

On my 2012 F-150 there is a big factory sticker on the transfer case to use Mercon LV

Thx for the replies. I’ll keep the Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case for now, unless someone has a horror story they’d like to share. Each winter in Jersey I forced the Explorer into 4x4 high just to ensure it continued to work. Iv got the AWD model, despite the advertised 4x4. The Last few winters Up there were mild, didn’t get much snow where so I lived.

Back