Transfer Case Leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Transfer Case Leak

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Several days ago I notice my transfer case leaking after crawling under the truck (2000 XLT explorer V6 SOHC) it look like it’s coming from the front output seal. I took it to the dealer for a minor seal replacement. When the dealer called me to tell me the cost they said it’s the input seal and they will need to remove the T-case to replace the leak and they recommend to replace some internal parts if the T-case already out, the cost to do it $1200.

Did anyone have the same problem like mine? Can I just do the job by myself (replacing the seals and internal parts)?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
they're pretty easy to rebuild and there's a couple write ups on this forum how to do it. If you're interested in doing it yourself i'd def go that route considering the parts will cost you $200 max (depending on what you need to replace but the whoel rebuild kit is somewhere around 150) and a couple days labor.

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD

tantonio

Reaction score
City, State
Pecos NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer sport
My 99 explorer is in the shop as we speek, t-case went out now having it rebuilt.Parts were around 200 but labor will be like 400, still not bad. Ill let you know the results.

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
The problem with my t-case is that you need to pull the entire t-case to change the front output seal because the genius that design it put a C ring in the inside of the case to hold the front shaft. I can believe this stuff:mad: