• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Leak

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Several days ago I notice my transfer case leaking after crawling under the truck (2000 XLT explorer V6 SOHC) it look like it’s coming from the front output seal. I took it to the dealer for a minor seal replacement. When the dealer called me to tell me the cost they said it’s the input seal and they will need to remove the T-case to replace the leak and they recommend to replace some internal parts if the T-case already out, the cost to do it $1200.

Did anyone have the same problem like mine? Can I just do the job by myself (replacing the seals and internal parts)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they're pretty easy to rebuild and there's a couple write ups on this forum how to do it. If you're interested in doing it yourself i'd def go that route considering the parts will cost you $200 max (depending on what you need to replace but the whoel rebuild kit is somewhere around 150) and a couple days labor.

My 99 explorer is in the shop as we speek, t-case went out now having it rebuilt.Parts were around 200 but labor will be like 400, still not bad. Ill let you know the results.

The problem with my t-case is that you need to pull the entire t-case to change the front output seal because the genius that design it put a C ring in the inside of the case to hold the front shaft. I can believe this stuff:mad:

Back