Transfer case leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case leak

JarrodH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT V8
I've checked all of the posts tagged with transfer case and couldn't find anything along the lines of my question. I have a 2000 xlt AWD 5.0L v8

A couple of months back, my mechanic told me that my transfer case had a leak and would need to be taken apart and resealed. He quoted me $683 for the labor. From what I've searched around on the internet, this seems exceptionally high. I would think for that much I could get it entirely replaced. Also, when I asked where it was leaking from they said "we can't tell until we take it apart" which sounds fishy to me. I recently brought it in for filter and oil changes and general overall check, and they didn't bring up the transfer case at all.

The only issue I've had with the truck since is some mornings it doesn't want to turn over. No slippage of gears, no loud noises or grinding,etc.

So my question: is my mechanic trying to rip me off?
Should I go somewhere else and ask them to check the level (I would imagine it would be low if it had been leaking) replace the fluid while they're at it and check for leaks?

I live in an apartment and don't have anywhere I could work on the truck. And I usually draw the line at repairs when it gets into tranny-type work.

Go elsewhere, definitely.

Before runnin all over spendin money on a whim you should take a peek under your truck and see if anything looks wet. If its leaking it'll show.

Back