• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Leaking

ExplorerCoby

Reaction score
City, State
Wilson, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4wd
I just changed the filter and fluid in the transmission and noticed the transfer case is leaking.

It looks like it's leaking from the bottom of the transfer case where it looks like there is a gasket.

The only thing they sell at Autozone is the Output seal - which seems to be okay.

I found a Motorcraft "transfer case gasket" on eBay but it says it goes between the tranny and transfer case.

I'm confused about what I need to replace - maybe I need to look elsewhere for the leak?

Thanks,
Coby

P.S. Vehicle is a 2007 Explorer, Automatic Transmission, 4x4, V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I took the transfer case out on mine few times......
There is no gasket at the bottom. Mine was leaking at the rear output shaft.
If it's leaking from between the tranny and TC, then the input shaft seal is bad. Mine was dry there even after 200k miles.

Is that the only thing that could leak? At the output or input shaft? It's probably the input shaft seal.

Do I have to drop the TC to fix?

Yes, those are the only 2 places really...
And yes, you would need to drop it, not sure what special tools you would need to replace the seals.

Thanks. I just inspected it further and realized it's not the transfer case at all. It's not even near the transfer case actually. During a recent oil change I was told the transfer case was leaking. So when I noticed the leak underneath, just assumed that was it...

After further inspection, I realize it's actually the oil pan gasket that is leaking. The transfer case was fine, once I located it, lol.

I feel like a dork, but I appreciate you steering me in the right direction!

Cheers,
Coby

I just changed the filter and fluid in the transmission and noticed the transfer case is leaking.

It looks like it's leaking from the bottom of the transfer case where it looks like there is a gasket.

The only thing they sell at Autozone is the Output seal - which seems to be okay.

I found a Motorcraft "transfer case gasket" on eBay but it says it goes between the tranny and transfer case.

I'm confused about what I need to replace - maybe I need to look elsewhere for the leak?

Thanks,
Coby

P.S. Vehicle is a 2007 Explorer, Automatic Transmission, 4x4, V6
Did you get this solved ?

I just replaced that Gasket between Transfer Case and Tranny ....got it from a Ford Dealership OEM....put some RTV on both sides and No Leak

Pic of Gasket from Dealership and the Transfer case /Tranny Leaking before replacing Gasket

20201205_132859.jpg

20201204_140822.jpg

Back