Transfer Case Noise | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Noise

mountaineergree said:
Since I dont have BL room above the case is already tight, I dont know how I am going to lift that thing up any............

I looked agian, and the only close spot is where the two tabs are on top of the case. I will have to clearance that with a BFH, but Id have to take the case out. Ugh. Which means I have to take the gas tank bracket off, seats, console and access pannel. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I din't know if this is any thicker, but you are welcome to it.

Attachments

• trans mount.jpg
    trans mount.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 378

I cant really tell if it is or not, I may have to go look again with a flashlight-

I wonder what a urethane mount costs? It may be worth the expense given the extra weight of the case, I don’t know.

I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it.

BTW, Ive got my front shocks off if you still need em..

Jamie, I was looking at the case, and in order to put a brace or something on there, it would have to hang down below the frame I believe. The case is huge!

After a second look, the mount looks a little bit taller than mine, I wonder if it would compress as much as mine is with all that weight on it?

I figure the case weighs ~100 lbs. The AWD case weighs around 60, and I know the 4406 is far heavier, I put it in by myself!

mountaineergree said:
I need to know where to find a trans mount-a heavy duty mount, not just a stock replacement.

You should be able to build one, or at least a spacer

Its not the transmission mount. Even if it was sagging, the angle of the transmission would only change maybe 1 degree.

Your front pinion, as I said, is not right. Its meant for a CV/double-cardan. I looked at your pictures and it looks like its made for the CV/double-cardan.

Just compare the angles in these two images:

driveshaft2_001_Small_.jpg

driveshaft2_002_Small_.jpg

IZwack said:
Its not the transmission mount. Even if it was sagging, the angle of the transmission would only change maybe 1 degree.

Your front pinion, as I said, is not right. Its meant for a CV/double-cardan. I looked at your pictures and it looks like its made for the CV/double-cardan.

So your fairly certain a double cardan conversion will fix my noise problem?
The superlift kit calls for a double cardan setup when the kit is installed, I assumed that it was because of the pour design of the cv style stock driveshaft. I thought that the regular style u joint could handle the angle but I guess not.

mountaineergree said:
The superlift kit calls for a double cardan setup when the kit is installed, I assumed that it was because of the pour design of the cv style stock driveshaft.

A double cardan is per say a "CV". A double cardan is just a different method of achieving the same effect as a typical "CV" (assuming the U-joints are properly phased) like the CV in the front half-shafts for the IFS system.

With the fact that a double cardan acts like a CV, the angles and such are also the same for both.

If the superlift requires a double-cardan, then thats what I would do.

IZwack said:
If the superlift requires a double-cardan, then thats what I would do.

Well that's what they recommends. They say something like the stock driveshaft's life is considerably shortened, and their $350 part is recommended. I thought having the different Tcase would eliminate this need.

I still don't get why the sound goes away in 4hi?

I did a little research, the full size bronco uses the same U joints as my F150 front d shaft. If I can find the part I want, I think I can make it work. I found a thread on FSB that had a good picture of what I want

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76774

k1.jpg

Im worried about room between the t case flange and the crossmember for that extra piece:
driveshaft_001_Small_1.jpg

See how close the crossmember is to the flange?
I think the yoke would be close to hiting, but I dont know for certain.

WOW Glad someone else has this exact same problem. Same thing is going on for me. I beleive its the front pinion angle also. I am having a shimmy off the line from my rear driveshaft but lucky me I found a 97-98 expo with a double carden rear driveshaft, the only problem is I have to shorten it about 4".

personally I consider new/custom driveshafts a part of these conversions and lifts

Every time I have swapped engines, transmissions, lifts, etc I have modified my driveshafts to work with my application.
My BII has CD style shafts front and rear, no vibrations.

If the expedition shafts I have for my 4406 conversion dont fit just right I will have them modified to work. My local shop doesnt charge too much, basically to build an entire new CV style slip yoke rear d shaft is just under $200, usually same day service.

I cant understand why everyone is having these problems. I guess i was lucky. I never knew the 97-98 expo has a d-carden rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the two people having these problems have drop bracket style lift kits

Back