Transfer Case Not Locking '00 4dr XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Not Locking '00 4dr XLS

DoraThe_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi Everyone. I have a 2000 4 dr. XLS with a 4.0 OHV motor and 5 sp. transmission.

I can engage 4wd high and low no problem. The lights come on on the dash, I can cruise around in 4wd low all day, but the transfer case doesn't lock so my front wheels don't spin. I use to hear a electrical "click" when the transfer case locked, but now I do not hear that anymore.

Thanks to gijoecam's walkthrough I figured it would be best to start a new thread. I jacked up the front end, engaged 4wd high, and the front driveshaft spins freely with the wheels turning as well. I also engaged 4wd low with the same outcome.

With that being said, should I start looking at local salvage yards for a good transfer case, or is a rebuild worth it? Or can I check something else outside of the transfer case that could be the culprit?

I think I would check the relay and also check for voltage at the brown wire.

I should have checked the voltage of the brown wire . Whoops. Thanks Drdoom :thumbsup: , I will check that asap.

Sorry for not closing this out yet, but unfortunately Bambi decided to jump in front of me the other day while cruising around town. I need to do some work on the front end before tackling the 4wd drive issue.

I'll post what I find out when I get a chance to tinker with it some more.

Back