• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case problem ?

dickd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I have just replaced my TC with a used one and my thud clunk problems have gone.
But now i have a new problem that i am trying to narrow down.
When i turn into my drive way or turn around on the road it appears that the Auto 4x4 kicks in and it is heavy, noisyand clunky when moving forward.
It drops back to 2WD after stop starting or reversing some times but now appears to stay in 4x4 Hi

If i switch to 4x4 Hi there is no audio engagement just the 4x4 light comes on as if it is already in 4x4Hi.If I shift to 4x4lo you hear the engagement and when i shift back to 4x4Hi i hear the engagement but not when i change to 4x4 auto.

When it has been out of 4x4 and I disconnected the TC plug and i can turn sharp L or R with out the 4x4 engaging so i am assuming i have a electrical problem rather than mechanical

Would you say
problem with the switch motor
problem with the TC electromagnetic clutch

or i do I have another going faulty Transfer case ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would you say
problem with the switch motor
problem with the TC electromagnetic clutch

or i do I have another going faulty Transfer case ??

D: None of the above.

The fact that it locks-up tells us it's not the transfer case clutch or clutch coil. The fact that it engages and disengages the low range gears tells us it's not the shift motor. No, I think your transfer case is working just fine.

I suspect you have an electrical gremlin with one of the speed sensors. What year is your Explorer, and what year Explorer did the 'new' transfer case come out of?

Hi I have a 1997 and replaced TC after getting loud Bangs thumps when reaching 30-40mph then no thump.
After reading up here have done the following
Disconnected the TC plug (Still noise when turning from stop start)
Removed the Front Drive Shaft (Noise gone)
Replaced front Drive Shaft, Noise Back
Removed again noise gone. All while TC plug is disconnected.

Hi I have a 1997 and replaced TC after getting loud Bangs thumps when reaching 30-40mph then no thump.
After reading up here have done the following
Disconnected the TC plug (Still noise when turning from stop start)
Removed the Front Drive Shaft (Noise gone)
Replaced front Drive Shaft, Noise Back
Removed again noise gone. All while TC plug is disconnected.

OK, so we know your problem is the front driveshaft, don't we? I'm not sure what the question is, or how it pertains to the problem we're discussing in this post?

Yes went off track there, the problem is 4x4 engaging from a stop start especially when turning the wheels.
I thought that i would follow your suggestion and give the sensor at the rear of the TC a clean and while doing so thought i might as well change the TC oil.

I found that the level was very low and oil that came out silvery black and worst i found a piece of case (Aluminium) just inside the fill hole.

I have put new oil in and am putting the drive shaft back on and will see what happens next.

From your description of the TC oil and debris showing I would say you have an internal TC problem as well. Was the replacement TC the right year/used/rebuilt/new? You also have issues in the rest of the front drive train.

Back