• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case probs?!?!?!?

nottsack

Reaction score
City, State
Newark Oh/ Ft Hood TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport-trac limited
I own a 97 explorer sport 4.0 AWD. My problem is. When I'm driving down the road my truck will make kind of a grinding noise (sounds more like a kazoo at 55mph). This problem just started a few days ago. Today leaving work I went to reverse and it did it at low rpm's. Then when I put it in park it wouldnt hold itself. Put it in drive worked fine. After that park and reverse came back. On the way home It would start doing it again when I would be slowing down to under about 25mph then it would stop. But if i tap the gas it would stop for a short time if im on the brake. I pretty much have to hold the brakes and the gas coming to a stop. I think the transfer case is popping itself into neutral ( or halfway there). Any input on this problem would be great. Truck has 130k trans fluid is at level and not burnt at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Classic signs of a failed transfer case. Shift fork issues typically.

-Joe

Does this mean it is completely shot? How much would the TC or the part to fix it cost?

The models with the VSS speedometer port on the transfer case are rare and expensive. I can rebuild it for you if you ship it to me more reasonable than anywhere else I know. The problem usually is both case halves wear out and allow disengagement of your gears. I can fix it very inexpensively if you wish to delete the ability to have 4LOW.

What is the model number for this transfer case?

Borg Warner 44-05

I can get a rebuilt unit locally for 600 bucks. That a good deal?

I think im going to drop the TC this week and open it up. Never worked on 4x4 parts for Fords but have for Chevys so I should be alright to crack it open and have a look.

Been searching the net. Is there anyone who makes a complete rebuild kit for this TC?

I'm not sure how complete the components are, but I know Omega Engineering machines the case halves with new inserts for the shift rail. I believe they also have some of the other components that typically wear out as well.

-Joe

Good deal if they warranty it and machine the case halves. Omega sells some of the parts so you can rebuild it. If you install their case halves and modified shift-fork along with whatever else it needs you will have a better TC than when it came from the factory.

I emailed them this morning. Already have a reply back. He says its 250 for the case plus a 200 core which is cheaper than I figured it would be. I think I'm going to go this route so It's fixed for good.

nottsack said:
I emailed them this morning. Already have a reply back. He says its 250 for the case plus a 200 core which is cheaper than I figured it would be. I think I'm going to go this route so It's fixed for good.

Good for you. Let us know how it goes and if you need any help. Only way to go if you are going to keep it long term. :thumbsup:

I wasnt really into it at first. Always had fast cars/trucks. Now I'm getting used to it and miss it with only being down two days lol. Thinking it will make a great vehicle for camping. Id like to get some lift/tires brush guard and some other accessories for it in the near future.

The omega shift fork is 50 bucks. Im going to hopefully document the whole process with prices and make a post of it.

Improved Shift-Fork

nottsack said:
The omega shift fork is 50 bucks. Im going to hopefully document the whole process with prices and make a post of it.

Please do. I just installed one of their shift-forks and it really tightened things up. The factory designed fork is probably one of the main contributors to premature wear in these cases. :thumbsup:

I also ordered a Rebuilder kit from drivetrain.com. Hopefully I wont have to buy much else im already up to about 500 bucks on the rebuild. Not sure if I can complain or not. New 4405 costs about 1700 from ford.

Back