Transfer case question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Transfer case question

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
From my research, the v8 AWD mounty uses the same transfer case as the Explorer, but 4x4 low is disabled in software. I read it is possible to enable the 4x4 low with forscan? Someone did it for a later year STA.

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
From my research, the v8 AWD mounty uses the same transfer case as the Explorer, but 4x4 low is disabled in software. I read it is possible to enable the 4x4 low with forscan? Someone did it for a later year STA.
@96eb96

Pretty unlikely, I think. Because AWD must have provision to be driven with freedom of rotational speed differences between front and rear wheels. Use of the typical 4X4 case with electronic clutch could provide 4X4 AUTO, but only yield RWD when clutch was OFF. Not suitable IMY for reasonable production vehicle operation.

4X4 LOW is easiest disable of all. No power to LOW drive motor, or, no wire to feed it. imp

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
@96eb96

Pretty unlikely, I think. Because AWD must have provision to be driven with freedom of rotational speed differences between front and rear wheels. Use of the typical 4X4 case with electronic clutch could provide 4X4 AUTO, but only yield RWD when clutch was OFF. Not suitable IMY for reasonable production vehicle operation.

4X4 LOW is easiest disable of all. No power to LOW drive motor, or, no wire to feed it. imp
Could have sworn I saw a shift motor on the TC. And I have to find the post where someone explains it. I know the v6 and v8 have different AWD T/Cs

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD