Transfer case/rear end slop question 2001 sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case/rear end slop question 2001 sport 4x4

moscar80

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport
Hi guys, I have a question about an issue I've been having that I want to fix, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction so I don't replace stuff blindly.

For the past 5k miles or so, if I take off from a complete stand still I get what feels like a tiny bit of slack in the rear end before the truck starts to move forward. No slippage of any kind, just seems like the drive shaft gets a fraction of a turn prior to the rear end catching up with it. I originally thought it was a rocking effect from the worn out rear shocks, but Its not.

With the truck off the ground, I can grab and rotate the rear tires a bit in each direction before they stop (the driveshaft turns also a little bit). U joints are good. Is this kind of play normal? I'm guessing the problem is a stretched transfer case chain, or the rear end is going.

Is there a way to determine which it is? truck has 120k and tune ups, fluid swaps, etc have all been done on schedule. I would appreciate any help.

Back