• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Seal Failure

admsbmr

Reaction score
City, State
SLC, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited V8
I had to have my transfer case rebuilt last April and since then it has been back three times for leaks, first was the front input shaft seal second was the rear input shaft seal and third was the front again. On the third time I was told that they split the case again and resealed everything up and we are good to go. that lasted for about 6 months, I now have a leak out of the front input shaft. I was told by the tech that there was not any abnormal grooves on the shafts themselves so I don't know why the seals keep failing. The dealer I took it to has a two year unlimited mileage warranty on all their stuff and I am a year and 30k into it, I just want to see if anyone else has had any experience with seals failing on the transfer case.

Sounds like you could have a driveline vibration that keeps wearing out the seals. Either one of the driveshafts is now out of balance or a u-joint needs to be replaced on it. I have never heard of seals failing that fast unless there was a driveline alignment issue or a bad driveshaft u-joint.

U joints where replaced at the same time so it could be out of balance I'll have them check when it goes in today

The dealership has contacted Ford for a recommended repair, so hopefully I will hear back no later than tomorrow afternoon.

Back