Transfer case selection help

wlk1020

Reaction score
City, State
STEWARTSTOWN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 l
Hello all,
Im building a 2002 Ranger. Im swapping a 5.0l engine and transmission from a 99 mountaineer. I will add vin numbers below. I need a 4wd transfercase that will work for me. The explorer is all wheel drive so that doesnt work. I called advanced adapters and they want 500+ for parts and ill need to overhaul transmission too. Is there a easier way to do this. Was there a 4wd transfer case offered in a 5.0l 4r70w transmission configuration that will work in my ranger? If so what was it? I appreciate your help.
Ranger 1FTZR45E72PB40288
Mountaineer 4M2DU55POXUJ13923

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,
Im building a 2002 Ranger. Im swapping a 5.0l engine and transmission from a 99 mountaineer. I will add vin numbers below. I need a 4wd transfercase that will work for me. The explorer is all wheel drive so that doesnt work. I called advanced adapters and they want 500+ for parts and ill need to overhaul transmission too. Is there a easier way to do this. Was there a 4wd transfer case offered in a 5.0l 4r70w transmission configuration that will work in my ranger? If so what was it? I appreciate your help.
Ranger 1FTZR45E72PB40288
Mountaineer 4M2DU55POXUJ13923
Why not keep the engine and transmission, as well as the AWD transfer case out of the Mountaineer and use them in the Ranger? The AWD system is quite reliable, good enough for all but out and out 4-wheeling, and that would eliminate a whole lot of your concerns. You are aware I hope that the 4r70w transmission will need the support of the Mountaineer PCM?

Why not keep the engine and transmission, as well as the AWD transfer case out of the Mountaineer and use them in the Ranger? The AWD system is quite reliable, good enough for all but out and out 4-wheeling, and that would eliminate a whole lot of your concerns. You are aware I hope that the 4r70w transmission will need the support of the Mountaineer PCM?
Yes the pcm wiring etc etc is easy part. I have dealer status with sct so ill be able to modify computer as well

I actually thought about converting to AWD as well. Both vehicles have the same axle size. At least the rear differentials are the same

Plenty people here have swapped in a tcase out of an F150, but I’m not how sure your exact transmission affects that.

Back