• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Transfer case shift motor brushes

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
One of the brushes on my 98 xlt's transfer case shift motor is broke off. How do I replace the brush and where would I get a new brush. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Does ford sell the brushes without buying the whole motor ?

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
Weird :hammer: How did one of the brushes break like that? I'm not sure if they sell just the brushes so you'd most likely need to find them in a used shift motor. I'm not sure, but you may be able to remove the brushes from any electrical motor and cut them down to size so they fit..

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
I had someone work on the transfer case. It worked until then. They broke it I guess.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
badgett said:
I had someone work on the transfer case. It worked until then. They broke it I guess.
That is weird :confused: Are you saying you disassembled the shift motor and found the brushed were broken?

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
One was. It is broke about 3/4 of the way off. There is a little brush left on there , but I guess it's not enough

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
never thought about going to a hobby shop. Good idea.