• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Stuck

EvilTheCat

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
I've been trying to pull the transfer case on my 97 Sport 4.0L OHV with a Manual transmission.

I am certain I have all the bolts out. Only 5. Both drive shafts are off. Wires and hose unhooked. I can get it to separate from the tranny enough to get a scraper between them, however I have not been able to free the two completely.

Is there some trick or some obvious thing I'm missing? Does it have to be in a certain gear? 4wd engaged? I've been tugging and lifting and wiggling it for about an hour and a half, and not getting more than about 1/16" gap. I even tried using a ratchet strap to pull it rearward as I wiggled it around, but it won't break free.

Yes I have tried searching, but everybody just says it pulls right off once you break the gasket free. However, that is not the case here. I'm about to stick a prybar between them and force it loose, because I'm about out of options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've found researching while at work is that I have a Borg Warner 4405 transfer case which has a dowel in one of the holes on the passenger side near the top. This seems to be seized into the transmission. I doused it in wd-40 before I came to work so hopefully when I start on it tomorrow it will break free and just pull out as everything I've read suggests it should.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I managed to get the transfer case separated from the transmission. I ended up using a chisel to wedge the two apart and forcing it the rest of the way with a big pry bar. The dowel that was supposed to be pressed into the transfer case was so seized that it pulled out of the transfer case and is still sticking out or the tranny. Oh well, they're apart now. I haven't cleaned the gasket off yet to see the damage from the chisel yet, but it actually appears to be in good shape. I don't think it matters that they make a perfect seal since there's a drainage channel on the transmission side for some reason. I'll add photos when I get off work. I hope nobody ever has this issue but if you do soak that dowel good and just pry that ***** off. Caviot is don't force it so much you crack the case and have a Jack ready to take the load. Cracking cast aluminum is not hard to do, but frustration took over and my rage reached for a chisel and hammer.

Here's the rear of the transmission with the drainage channel.
0926142310b_zpsibsvi3nx.jpg

After cleaning off the gasket I found a slight indentation in the matting surface of the t-case from the chisel but it would still seal if it mattered and no cracks. I just used some gasket material and cut a new gasket. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be putting it back together.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Sarcasm?

I'm glad it worked out for you.
I was one of the people that looked at your post but I couldn't offer any useful suggestions.

Sarcasm?

I'm glad it worked out for you.
I was one of the people that looked at your post but I couldn't offer any useful suggestions.

Ditto

Back