• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case swap.

metz194

Reaction score
City, State
hillsboro oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer sas
i have a 1995 ford explorer I was under their last night and found out i have the 4405 t-case. I unfortunately do not want to have this t-case because i have a dana 30 and i wound like a part time transfer case instead of a full time. my question is, wich transfer case do i swap in and what do i need to pull it out of i was thinking a 1354 out of a similar year automatic explorer. also will it just mount up or do i need to make modifications. Thanks Chris

I know that someone on here has done this swap (2nd gen 4405 to 13-54). With the right set of search terms, you should be able to find it.

I don't think any 2nd gen ('95+) Explorer came with a 13-54 transfer case. You should be able to get one off of a Ranger instead, or use a 1st gen 13-54.

It seems that those who have done this swap have opted for a manual/lever shift 13-54 so they wouldn't have to worry about the electronics for the electric shift.

As I recall, the '95 4405 has a 2H setting, doesn't it? If so, I'm not sure I see the absolute need to swap to the 13-54. A Dana 30 axle with manual hubs should work just fine with a 4405 that has a 2H setting. If you don't have a 2H setting, you could do the "brown wire" mod that allows you to disable the 4A setting effectively creating a 2H setting.

I would not run the 44-05 with a SAS. The front drivetrain components will still tend to rotate, even set to 2wd, due to the design of the internal clutch assembly that locks the case. A 13-54 would be the way to go IMHO.

Back