• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Thud?

mshuler009

Reaction score
City, State
Centerville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Ok, well here lately I've been hearing a somewhat loud clunk while driving my truck. And right as I started to hear a noise, my buddy heard one about the same on his 2wd ranger. He diagnosed and replaced his rear u-joint. Two days after he replaced his u-joints I put my truck up on the lift at work and pulled the driveshaft, checking for play in the u-joints and pinion. I didn't feel any significant play so I reinstalled the driveshaft. Just as I was going to let it down another co-worker came up to talk to me. He put his hand on the driveshaft right where it exits the transfer case and it moved about a quarter of an inch. I then began checking it and now suspect the transfer case output is the thud. Working at a GM dealership I don't know if this is normal on a Ford transfer case. I'm assuming it's not. Anyone have some advice/info?

It is not normal. Your t-case needs to be rebuilt. This thread will explain why and how it needs to be rebuilt. You likely need bushed case halves. The rebuild is easy though, removing/reinstalling the t-case is more difficult than the rebuild.

Back