• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Wouldn't Go

fredrosse

Reaction score
City, State
Phila PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Today I was driving my 96 V6 Explorer, 5 speed manual, with electric shift (2hi-4hi-4lo) Stopped to drop off teenager, then when I restarted the Explorer engine, I had no drive wharsoever, car wouldn't move! The regular trans and clutch are all OK, it was the transfer case stuck in neutral. This is in the middle of a snowstorm! After about 1/2 hour of banging on things and messing with electric connections and fuses, I finally got 4lo and drove home.

My old Bronco (89) had a manual lever to select the transfer case options, none of it electric. Can this conversion be made on the explorer? Don't want any chance for this to happen again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stay out of LO range and you'll be fine. Just stick to 2HI and 4HI. Extra torque often wont help much in the snow.

The problem was no drive to the wheels whatsoever, not a problem of 4wd lo vs. 4wd hi

install new shift motor (or rebuild it) and the switch on the dash, and change the fluid. mabe

I want to get away from the electrics alltogether. Is there an available transfer case manual shift setup similar to all the vehicles I had from the 1950's till I got this Excplorer?

If you dont go into LO range, it wont happen again.

Not true. The 44-05 is infamous for the shift rail bore issue, and it's caused by the way the setup holds the low range gears in place when in high range. A person could never EVER engage low range over the life of the vehicle and still experience the exact same shift rail bore failure.

I want to get away from the electrics alltogether. Is there an available transfer case manual shift setup similar to all the vehicles I had from the 1950's till I got this Excplorer?

Search this section of the forums for '13-54'. (It's the model of the manual transfer cases out of the first-gen Explorers and Rangers). It's not an impossible swap, but not exactly a plug-n-play setup either.

Not true. The 44-05 is infamous for the shift rail bore issue, and it's caused by the way the setup holds the low range gears in place when in high range. A person could never EVER engage low range over the life of the vehicle and still experience the exact same shift rail bore failure.
But I think going into LO exacerbates the problem.

I think one of the reason why the bore issue exists is because the cam bearing doesnt engage the proper position in the helical ramp (due to stress/tension in the planetary set) before the driver puts the transmission in Drive (or Reverse). So while the shift motor is in the right position, fork is not. And this is why people mention hearing the "clunk" - which is the tension in the clock spring thrusting the cam bearing / fork into the proper position and the engaging gear into or out of the planetary set. So I think the bore issue is due to the tensions from clock spring and the input torque from the transmission, both of which finally allows the cam bearing to move to the proper position in the helical ramp once the gear is properly aligned to engage the planetary set. So I guess I somewhat disagree that a vehicle that never sees LO range will, at some point, see shift bore issues because the teeth in the engaging gear are straight cut and therefore is not really applying any forces to the cam bearing that would cause the bore to deform.

Straight cut teeth in the engaging gear:
4405_plentarygeardown_fork.jpg

Back