• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case

SuperEx91

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT EB
I know that they offered the manual transfer case with my Ex but unfortunately, I have the electronic one. I was curious if the manual one would bolt right up to the A4LD as long as i cut the hole in the floor. Is there a better swap I could do maybe. I was thinking about swapping in a 302 later on and wondered what transmissions would work well. I saw in a forum someone was planning a 302/C4/Dana 20 swap. What drivetrain swaps has anyone done that they liked/disliked? I'm looking around and trying to plan what I want to do with mine. I already have a D44/F9 swap in the works. I was planning on running 37-39's. What will hold up to these tires? Thanks for any help. :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your A4LD is the weak link.

yes you can bolt in a manual version of your T case. You can search the forum for that it is a VERY common topic and is done quite often (people get fed up with the touch drive electric shift, I personally love mine :) )

A C5/4 conversion would be a great way to get your truck up to par for turning 37-39" tires. The OHV 4.0L with the proper gears can handle those tires, but of course a V8 would always be best.

You can search for basically every question you asked in your post on this forum. If you still have questions then you can ask them :)

Welcome!

acually, it can be done w/o cutting, there is a plate beneath the carpet that unbolts that the shifter handel will come through I believe. ALso, along with what 410 said, 302, 351, c4, c5, aod swaps are all very common on this site, search around and you will find plenty of info. jamesDuff also makes a swap kit for v8's. As for the d44/9" swap, let get some info and PICS! :D

Another alternative is the Advanced Adapters 700R-4 swap (if you are planning to keep the 4.0L). Definatley worth the money!

700r4

I would definately like to keep the 4.0 for now since it is in such good condition. So the adapter allows me to bolt up the 700r4 to the 4.0 and then what kind of t-cases would I be looking at then? what kind of modifications would i be looking at for the shifting mechanism and and crossmember? also, how hard are they to come by? how expensive to get/repair? Sorry for all the questions, im in college out of town and cant go look for myself being miles away from my ex. Thanks for the help-tom. :rolleyes:

If you are planning on a V8 down the road maybe you should considder using the v8 trans swap. thatway later when you do a v8 you can use the same trans and tcase. just a thought

Back