Transforming my explorer to an Xplorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transforming my explorer to an Xplorer

Well it is about time to do the deed to my truck. I have owned it for around a year, and now this weekend the major mods will begin.

I am not really sure how to list the progress of my explorer's transformation. I will update/edit this post as the project goes along.

Here is a pic from when I first bought her.
1291392explorer.jpg

This is a pic of the push bar Sidewalk hooked me up with. It also has a set of Pilot projection fogs and is waiting for a set of KC Dayliters.
12913pushbar.jpg

Here is a pic of the bar with lights on. It will look much better and work better with the KC's on there.
12913foglights1.jpg

This is the last major thing to do with the pushbar. I finaly got around to adding my tow hooks. This is a pic of the passenger side hook. Both are fastened with 1/2" grade 5 bolts. The pushbar itself is fastened to the frame with 3 1/2" grade 8 bolts on each side.
12913towhook3.jpg

I will post more pics later on this weekend. I will be putting on my 6inch Skyjacker lift with a SOA for the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Felix, i cant explain it, but the site doesnt work like that.... you can however save the pics individually and then up load them 1 by 1 to the post...... or just take out the img stuff and use them as links to your album.....

I think you should throw a "Felix The Cat" sticker somewhere on that X!

-ken

Just a little comparison for you all. Here is a picture of my Gabrials next to my Skyjacker 8000's for 6" of lift. I knew they were bigger when I picked them up but next to the stock size OMG they are big.

12913dcp_0005.jpg

you mounted your tow hooks to your brush guard drop brackets? I dont think they will hold the weight of pulling your car... but just my opinions.
Your truck is lookin good, keep it up.

Here is a pic of me testing my tow hooks. The old girl was giving it her all and nothing broke. So it is my best guess that if you get stuck harder than that tree, your not going to be pulled out anyway. Nothing moved, bent, groaned, or broke. While my wife stood at a safe distance to take the pic and warn me it anything started to give.

12913towhook2.jpg

Originally posted by Felix
Here is a pic of me testing my tow hooks. The old girl was giving it her all and nothing broke. So it is my best guess that if you get stuck harder than that tree, your not going to be pulled out anyway. Nothing moved, bent, groaned, or broke. While my wife stood at a safe distance to take the pic and warn me it anything started to give.

12913towhook2.jpg

Trust me youre not gonna find out if your tow hooks are strong that way. :) I found out for a fact having the tow hooks mounted into the frame isnt a good idea. I was getting tugged out of a stream while 4wheeling and ended up bending the frame a bit. I hit the other tow hook on a rock which bent the frame rail on the other side. Once i get some cash im gonna remove those hooks and get a front reciever.

Once i get some cash im gonna remove those hooks and get a front reciever.

At the repair shop today, I met this guy who had a Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel. His receiver was mounted at the same height as his differential. I didn't know this was his truck, and I mentioned, "The guy who mounted this front receiver didn't take into account his approach angle is now completely nil." He took offense to this comment, telling me he welded the receiver to the angle-iron himself. With a lift, 4WD and 33s, I thought it was a big waste of money not making that front receiver much more approach-friendly!

-Ken

p.s. - my total bill for repairs was 2,300.00:rolleyes:

I'm going to look for a reciever that mounts between the frame rails not below it. If i cant find anything i have acess to a welder. :) A front reciever is also real nice for mounting a winch.

Well it didn't get lifted this weekend. It took about all day just to get the final parts that I needed for the lift. So, I did my brakes today and that took forever. Was like everyone and there brother was there turning rotors and drums. I got those new ceramic brake pads for the front. They seem to work really well. I will have to let you all know in about a month if they are worth the money.

The only thing I did get done that has to do with the lift is, I repainted everything. When I picked it up DB_1 had already sanded down one radius arm, and the other had a nasty rub spot from his tire one it. So the wife roughed everything up and took off what little rust she found. Well here is a pick of what it looks like now. I am going to go thru and hit everything with semi-gloss black once it is completely dry. Sure beets having all that red under there.

12913dcp_0011.jpg

Felix,

It looks like your Explorer will be the one to watch! I can't believe you're going w/extended radius arms, and the whole works! Your Explorer will be all that!!!

-Ken

Well, I finaly got some more money to put towards my truck. The lift is still sitting in the garage, but with luck I will be installing it within the next 2 weeks. Back to the more money thing, got my tires ordered from www.tirerack.com. I just told them they were for a F-150 4x4 and they only asked if I had enough clearance. :D I ordered the Yokohama Geolander AT+II's. They should work well for light off road and highway driving, 01Baja4x4 from www.TheRangerStation.com seems to like his very well. Now all I have to do is keep ordering the discounted MickeyTompson CII rims from DesertRat.com, and the truck will be complete.

Hope to see some trails before the summer is over. Take care all and safe trails.

Felix

What size tires???

Oh yea guess i forgot that info. I got the 33x12.5R15's they were $100 a piece. I thought that was a really good deal.

Update....I received my tires Tuesday afternoon. Today I mounted and balanced them on the extra set of XLT rims that were lieing around in the garage.

12913dcp_0001.jpg

Well, after a week of turning wrenches after getting home from work. She is done. Got my new 33" Yoko AT+II's and 6" skyjacker lift installed. Next thing I am saving for is new GEARS.....must have some 4.56's the poor 4.0L just dont like 33's with 3.73's. Oh well here are the pics.

12913afterlift.jpg

12913afterlift3.jpg

12913afterlift2.jpg

How about some bigger pics? looks good though.:thumbsup:

Congratulations on the lift, the tires, and getting all the work done yourself! After you get those gears installed, you'll be probably thinking about changing your handle from 'Felix' to 'Flex'!:eek:

-Ken;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I got the picture problem fixed with some help from people on the board. Now you can see what I am posting. As for the truck, my niebor and myself went wheeling right close to home just to test out the truck. Here are a couple of pics of my truck. Hope you all like it.

12913dcp_0053.jpg

12913dcp_0075.jpg

Back