• Register Today It's free!

Transmision or Clutch?

christophe

Reaction score
City, State
Haines, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
The 'ol 92 Explorer took a dump today. As I crested a hill it seemed to pop out of gear. There was a rather ugly grinding sound as she rolled to a stop. It's a 5 speed. I could kinda move the shifter from gear to gear, but it was obvious something was amiss. At first the clutch was just dead and fell to the floor when I pushed on it. Now it seems to not only have fluid in the resevoir, but has pressure to it. If I start it and try to put it in gear, it seems to shift okay, but when I let the clutch out, it has an obnoxious grinding noise and makes no movement, so I stopped that immediately.

So, any ideas aside from just rolling it into a transmision shop and hopig for the best?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it's the tranny. Can it go in any gear, like 5th or reverse? The reason I ask is because my tranny blew as well, I didn't have any gears except 5th and reverse (i dont' remember if I had 4th). What happend to mine was the first gear on the jack shaft literraly blew up taking a few of it's neighbors with it. Sorry man, good news is a rebuilt manual costs alot less than a rebuilt auto, i think we paid 900 for the rebuild and instalation.

Good luck
cp

That's what I expected. I was in fifth when it happened. Honestly, I don't think I can get any gears to work. She's done.

So is $900 a reasonable rate for a rebuilt tranny?

I was too, i was had the cruise control set at 57 mph, flat straight highway and BOOM.

I thought it was ok. The shop we took it to to put the tranny in didn't do a very good job so they had to replace more parts, some have failed because of them etc...I know that Doug on this board has had his manual go aswell, hopefully he'll chime in and tell you with more certainty wether it was a good price.

Good luck
cp

It is said that these transmission can potentially overheat when in overdrive. The Overdrive in mine is dead but all other gears are fine. Sorry you're not so lucky.

Just to let you know..the tranny you have is a M5OD-R1. They make a heavy duty version that was in some of the newer expolorers, it's just the M5OD-R1HD i beleive.

Iv'e never heard of a manual overheating...but then again, before mine went i had never heard of a manual failing like mine did

cp

Well mine just went tonight grinding in all gears and reverse if i push the throttle at all. Its happened to me before and i tore the center out of the clutch. is this pretty common?

Back