• Register Today It's free!

Transmision

DJ_XTZ1977

Reaction score
City, State
GREEN BAY, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
I have a 94' XLT 4x4 w/ an automatic trans and I lost my overdrive, the truck still shifts fine through all gears but OD will not engage. Vaccum, Fluid, and Filter are fine. Is this there an electronic switch or something that I can check, I have heard that there is a soliniod that can wear out or get disconnected but I have no idea were it is at. Is this only a tranny Prob? or can it also be caused by the Transfer Case?? Please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The overdrive band on the A4LD is known to wear out, so there is a good chance the transmission may need to be rebuilt. The O/D is controlled by a solenoid inside the transmission which you can check to see if it's getting power. You'll need a circuit diagram to identify the wire; It usually enters the transmission on the drivers side with the TCC clutch control circuit. (autozone has wiring diagrams at their website under vehicle repair guides)

On the 94 od is controled by a vacuum diaphram on the side of tranny by the cat. If it is leaking tranny fluid out the hose that connects to the diaphram, it is broken. It not to hard to replace. I had to drop the cat to get to the heat shield to remove the diapharm. Becareful to not lose the pin that is inside the old one. You will need it to put in the new one. Might check fluid level it could be low.

There is also a 3-4 solenoid

that has a built in screen that can clog. Is the oil dirty? When you go down a long hill, does it act more like a soap box derby racer or does it still have engine braking? Sorry to say that there is not much you can do without pulling the tranny. I'm pulling my 92 now! If you are curious, you can go to www.atcdg.com and click on tech for A4ld problems.

tranny

coullld someone please tell me what transmission i have? I have a 95 explorer xlt 4x4. Thanks

Re: tranny

Originally posted by loripelzel
coullld someone please tell me what transmission i have? I have a 95 explorer xlt 4x4. Thanks
You have the 4R55E 4 speed Electronic tranny.

You could also try installing a new O/D band servo before you go the expensive route and getting it rebuilt. It is located on the rh side of the trans case. It is accessible by removing the catalytic convertor. Is the fluid burnt? Many times the servo's seal gets hard and leaks.

OD

I had the weld on the planetary gear snap and a little over a year later the OD clutch drum sheared. You have next to zero chance of a band being bad or the solenoid. If you are competant to take the transmission out, the transmision can be rebuilt in 30 minutes with no special tools for less than $100 usually. The two parts that always go bad are the first two out. After 200K mu bands and clutches are still near perfect.

I just need to get the manuals so I can rebuild it. I have seen a couple on the net but cannot remember the web sites. I don't mind working on the tranny, I just hate dropping it.... I had to replace the flywheel not too long ago becaus it snapped off where it bolted on to the crank hub, not a pretty site.... it should be a lot easier for me to do it now, just hate the y-pipe.

Manuals

Bulkparts.com sells the ATSG manual for $16 and there is a second updates manual too. This is almost totally identical to the A4LD. In Gen Explr read my post Earth Transmisions Are Easy and there is a group of us on Anyone rebuild an A4LD. My rebuild with OD drum and torque converter is only costing about $250.

ARE THERE KITS TO MAKE THE TRANNY STRONGER AND MAKE IT ALMOST COMPLETELY MANUAL? IF I AM GOING TO TAKE IT OUT AND REBUILD IT, I WANT TO MAKE IT STRONG ....

I have searched and searched

And as far as I can tell it is an internet rumor without substance. Some of the newer parts like the OD planetary gear assembly and the reverse servo O-rings are better than they used to be. Only the transmission shops tell you the stuff is heavy duty. It's just a pitch.

supposedly there was or is an off-road kit that is supposed to make the A4LD almost completely manual but I really haven't looked into it....

Back