• Register Today It's free!

transmission...91 vs. 94

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
For these years the A4ld ( Automatic-4speed-locking device) was the same 91 through 94....my query is...did Ford make a better tranny in 94 compared to 91...even though they are the same tranny...anybody??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe I've seen this dicussed in the tranny section of this site, have you searched?

I think there were some indications from some users of minor improvements through the years. Brooklyn or Glacier would probably know for sure.

Mike

The 94 was the last year they manufactured these transmissions. They have all of the updates. The 4.0L engines are equipped with some upgraded parts to strengthen them a little compared to the 3.0L counterparts. The boost valve has a little more pressure on the 4.0L models. The check balls are arranged differently according to the engine. The 4.0L model has a slightly thicker rear snap ring. The overdrive planet is the 6 pinion type on the 94 compared to the 4 pinion type. The cases have some improvements on the rear overflow area, and on the area where the allen head bolt holds the center support. The 93 has different sealing rings on the center support. Check this link for more information: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1521552#post1521552. This is # 30 in my list of useful threads. The A4LD Frankentranny has even more updates (but this is not an official design from Ford). The Frankentranny shows the use of the 5R55E center support, extra clutch plates, updated larger pistons, and covers. Later model A4LDs came equipped with a heat shield over the modulator, and servos to help block some of the heat of the catalytic converter. ATSG prints an update manual in addition to their regular rebuild manual. It outlines parts such as torrington bearings which are replacements for plastic thrush washers, and the updated planetaries as previously mentioned.

excellent!!!!! thanks Brooklyn...you sure know your stuff

Back