Transmission 95 LTD

cableporter

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EX LTD, 06 Mtn Premier
Technical Expertise required.

I start to see transmission fluid in my coolant reservoir, assume that it is the radiator, buy one, and tell my kid to take the explorer and the radiator over to the mechanic. I go out of town for 10 days for my work and the kid drives the explorer around the full 10 days, now there is coolant in the trany as well.
In any case the transmission is shot. We have an autowrecker close by the charges $30 for any transmission. I’ve got my choice of about 5-4R55E’s or about 6-5R55E’s. Can someone tell me if the 5R55E would be an upgrade? Also will a 5R55E just bolt and plug in or are both mechanical and electrical modifications required? Has anyone done this?
Further to eliminate the fluid swap a second time I’m thinking about bypassing the radiator altogether and just putting in a big trany cooler. Does the trany need the heat from the radiator in cooler weather?

Also anyone know who sells rebuilts at a reasonable price?

Thanks
Sheldon

Welcome to this forum! How many miles did he put on with antifreeze in the transmission? It's possible that you might be able to salvage the transmission by flushing out all of the fluid, and replacing the filter & fluid inside of it.

Thanks,
been there done that
Had the Radiator replaced, cooling system flushed, Transmission system flushed, , Trany pan dropped, new filters, torque convertor flushed and afterwards off to the ford dealer to have the codes cleared. Still a flashing OD light and you have to let off of the gas in order to get the thing to go into 2nd.

Kids can be so expensive when you can't keep an eye on them. ;)

Back