Transmission again?

hinton69

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hello all,

Have a '98 XLT 5.0 AWD. Back around October the transmission or torque converter went out, it started slipping and then wouldn't move at all. Pulled the transmission (pan was full of metal), had it rebuilt, and put a new torque converter on. Only put about 100 miles on it and now it's doing the same thing. Wouldn't go above 40mph and now it just won't go. If it sits for a little bit it will move a little then just stop. Fluid level is good and it doesn't look or smell burnt. Any ideas other than another torque converter or transmission? I got a three year warranty on the transmission but don't really feel like pulling it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd start by talking to whoever rebuilt the transmission.

i'd start by talking to whoever rebuilt the transmission.

Oh I'm going to, just seems odd that I'd have the exact same problem. Not sure how it would act if the transfer case was going bad.

Will it move when you drop it down to 2nd gear. If so its not the Torque Converter. I had the same problem and if i put it in second then get up to speed and then shift it into drive i could drive it. But like koda2000 said take it back if its under warranty.

I have the same issue. 8 months later, the truck is still having problems after a rebuilt tranny. I hate it! :(

Hopefully y'all aren't going to aamco. Friend worked there told me they do the bare minimum to fix a problem and tell you they rebuilt it. Plus i had to sue one for ruining a couple of aftermarket headers when swapping a trans on one of my trucks, also forgot to put 2 bolts in the driveshaft. Then telling me they were like that when it came in. Thats when i learned to rebuild transmissions.

Back