Transmission and Transfer Case Specs by year | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission and Transfer Case Specs by year

i have a 1996 explorer with the 4R55E tranny. i was wondering what it will take to put in a 5R55E tranny. will it be a direct bolt in or will i need to do some adjustments? is the bellhousing pattern the same? one more thing, the 4r is 4 speed auto and the 5r is 5 speed auto. problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

waterrider919

First I would just like to say how impressed I am with the knowledge you all have about Explorers, and Rangers. I just joined the site, and could sit all day reading the how to threads, etc... I'm not real informed about the Ex I drive and I am curious about the type of trans, gears, and what it all means. Going by what you have posted, my '93 Ex has the BW 1354 t-case, 8.8" (41) open diff with 3.27 gears, and a dana 35 in front.
The real reason I'm interested is I want to upgrade things a bit in the future. I've driven the same truck for 13 yrs mostly stock, and feel it is about time I BEEF it up a little! I'm thinking of a moderate lift of 4", bigger wheels and tires, and if needed different gearing and other engine mods.
Since I don't go off road alot YET, I would want it to still be streetable. I guess one of my questions would be....do these changes I'm thinking about making, make the truck really rough driving on the road, and hard to keep balanced, as far as tires and front end goes?
18 yr old, trapped in a 47 yr old body, looking for a positive change!!
Still going strong after over 301K on the same engine, no work!

Wow !! 301K Keep the Oil changed and full and they run forever.
Ok I have the A4LD and I wish to replace it with a newer model. that my transfer case and Enginewill bolt up to.. A no 4X4 would be cheaper out at the Salvage Yard ,that I could bolt up. What years and model could I use.. I read everything I could find .

what trasnny do i have?

my tranny code is T 1996 ford explorer 4x4 xlt 4.0l ohv

...if it is manual i would say 4r55e and if it's 5 speed auto it would be 5r55e...i know, i couldn't find the t description either...:D

...if it is manual i would say 4r55e and if it's 5 speed auto it would be 5r55e...i know, i couldn't find the t description either...:D

truck is an automatic.....

i did find T in the chart above, but it lists 2 trannies... both 4 speeds.... (i am assuming mine is a 4 speed, has 1,2,d, and a button on the shifter for OD

4R44E............ 1995-2000.... T .... 2.47.... 1.37.... 1.0.... 0.75............. Overall length is ???

4R55E............ 1995-2001.... T .... 2.47.... 1.37.... 1.0.... 0.75.............. Overall length is ???

...i am going by a couple other charts and i haven't ran across a code yet...i know there was a change for some reason on the tranny, an upgrade you might say do to a better tranny...give me a few minutes and i will find out ...;)

...haynes says it's a 4r55e but that is for 95 and 96 only, no reference to t code, sorry...

also what tcase do i have? the chart above lists some, but doesnt say what they are in? i have a part time tcase, 2wd, 4hi and 4lo --- is this the 1354? ive got the 3 position rotary switch to the left of my radio

what is the control trac? my truck has the one that looks exactly like the control trac.....

even has the blue plug thing liek the picture....

ill take some pics tomorrow

..it is controlled by either an electronic shift motor or a gem module...it has an electromechanical clutch to shift the front driveshafts...externally it looks like the 1354 but internally is the difference...
...i would look at the rebuild threads of these 2 t/c's to see what you could find, unless one of the tranny guru's show up...sorry, that's all i got...:D

1350 and 1354's are both 2.48:1 case the 1356 which is a half ton and up case has the 2.72:1 ratio

been talking to glacier already... he is on the road, and offline right now...

acording to the link..... this is a 4405
4405.jpeg

and this is a 1354e
1354e.jpeg

...it looks like you should be easily able to tell the difference on yours even if yours does not have the blue cap....;)

here are the pics i jsut took, like 5 mintues ago of my transfercase

Picture_182.jpg

Picture_192.jpg

Picture_172.jpg

Picture_154.jpg

Picture_163.jpg

Picture_133.jpg

Picture_143.jpg

Picture_105.jpg

Picture_125.jpg

Picture_1112.jpg

tbars, i have a control trac 4wd.....

not only does my pic look spot on, under the word EXPLORER on my rear hatch it says CONTROL TRAC 4WD

:rofl:

...roflmao...maybe you could post a pic of the control-trac badge for the future readers.... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok on to my tranny tbars.... is it a 4r55e or a 4r44e? chart above shows both of those for code T

Back