• Register Today It's free!

Transmission binding up

1Bernie

Reaction score
City, State
Perth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Ranger
Hi everyone, I have a 2010 Ford Ranger XL, with a 3 Liter Diesel engine, and a manual gearbox.

I fully understand that 4 wheel drive, high or low range, should only be used when the vehicle is on a soft surface, sand or mud. If it is used on a hard surface, tar or concrete, the transmission binds up and locks the wheels due to slight differences in the rotational speeds of the wheels. This can very quickly result in broken components in the drive train, and an overheated, smoking clutch.

However, I am presently towing a 3 ton caravan around Australia, and occasionally, I get into situations where I need low range to manoeuvre the caravan into tricky parking spaces. If I use 2 wheel drive high range, I smoke the clutch from slipping it too much. If I use 4 wheel drive low range, the transmission binds up and I smoke the clutch because I cannot feel the difference between the weight of the caravan, and the transmission binding up.

So, what I would like to achieve, is being able to select low range, but without the front wheel drive engaging. I presume the front wheels are engaged electronically when the gearbox is shifted into 4 wheel drive. Could I interrupt this electronic signal with a switch? Would this stop the transmission from binding up? Would the transmission still work?

Any insight into this problem would be appreciated,
Thanks, Bernie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Bernie!
Run a search here and do some reading on the brown wire mod. It's a front axle disconnect for 2nd Gen Explorers, but possibly it would work on your '10.
I don't know the 4wd systems of anything newer than my '93, so it might be a whole different thing, but could be worth checking out.

Success, today I took the Ford into an auto electrical place here in Hobart Tasmania, and they investigated, and fitted a switch to stop the front hubs from engaging when I select 4 wheel drive. The switch even has a light in it. They charged me $280 to do the job.

I will get to use this system fairly soon. The only route out of the caravan park in New Norfolk where we are staying, includes a stop at a T junction on a steep up hill slope. With 3 tons of van on the hitch, I would have probably popped the clutch trying to get rolling after stopping there. :)

Great! Appreciate the follow up!

I have now used my front hub disconnect switch several times, and it is absolutely awesome having the ability to select low range 2 wheel drive, or low range 4 wheel drive at will. I wonder why Ford didn't do this themselves?

It makes maneuvering the caravan into tight spots so much easier, I can move at very low speed without riding the clutch, or having the transmission bind up. I can also easily get going again if I have to stop on a steep uphill slope while towing the van. Before, I would have to give the clutch an awful hammering to get rolling.

This is interesting. American rangers after mid 2000 don't have hubs that can be disengaged. The disconnect to the front drive is at the transfer case. I am not aware of any easy way to engage low range without having front drive engaged. Our Rangers after 2000 would have to remove the driveshaft to achieve want you are doing.

Back