vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
ok, so i have a chance to pick up a 2010 ranger 4x4 that has a blown trans and a 4L SOHC v6. i have 2 5r55e 4x4 trans sitting in my shed. one from a 2000 explorer, one from either a 99 or a 2000 explorer. i know physically they will fit and bolt up, but what i dont know is what if any are the electronic differences in them. i would think that its not a plug and play. does anyone know what would have to be changed for them to work in the 10 ranger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My service manuals show 1997 and up to be the same 5R55E in the 4.0. The 2000 may have an extra sensor in the middle of the case but you wouldn’t use it in your application.

9DDAF7FB-3C13-433D-93A3-8A211AA1BB88.jpeg

My service manuals show 1997 and up to be the same 5R55E in the 4.0. The 2000 may have an extra sensor in the middle of the case but you wouldn’t use it in your application.

View attachment 164004

Ok. I remember that the 97 had that sensor and 98 and up didnt. I think you had to cut a wire or something like that and it would work.
So that being said it’s a plug and play then

Yes, just plug the wires in that the harness has connectors for. Good luck!

2010 trans will work no problem
The OSS speed sensor can be ignored
The SOHC 5r55 changed very little 2001-2011 if at all. 2002 is when the additional speed sensor was added
You MIGHT want to use your wiring harness and dtrs (digital trans range sensor) or at least keep them around until the swap is complete.
IN 98-99 the dtrs went from analog to digital, not sure if there were any other changes after that.
I have a 07 5r55e downstairs I will use in some lucky ranger eventually

2010 trans will work no problem
The OSS speed sensor can be ignored
The SOHC 5r55 changed very little 2001-2011 if at all. 2002 is when the additional speed sensor was added
You MIGHT want to use your wiring harness and dtrs (digital trans range sensor) or at least keep them around until the swap is complete.
IN 98-99 the dtrs went from analog to digital, not sure if there were any other changes after that.
I have a 07 5r55e downstairs I will use in some lucky ranger eventually

right! forgot about that one because i did use a (mind you completely different animal all together) a 4r55e from a aerostar in a 96 explorer once and had to swap the sifter lever and neutral safety switch

k, thanks guys. i have to unload a 08 ranger i have here right now that is almost ready for sale, then see if i can talk the guy with the 10 ranger down some first. if that doesnt happen and the trans drops in my 07 level 2, at least i now now the 2 trans i have here will also work as spares

Back