Transmission Confusion - please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Confusion - please help

Dadsvette1981

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford Explorer
2002 Explorer
Auto

so I've never changed the fluid or filter but I started to have a lot of slippage so I thought I'd start with a fluid and filter change.

read up that when filling you over fill some and let it drain as the plug has a tube that sets the level. sooo, I assumed that when I removed the center plug, little would come out.

atleast 4 quarts came out. I was shocked. removed the large plug and the tube was only about an inch or inch and a quarter tall.

Is this right? seems I could only fill it with about 2 quarts when it came time.

confused..........................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine is supposed to be running when you set the fill level. That means all the pumps and passages are full of tranny fluid and then there is 1.4 inches in the pan. Turn the engine off and all the fluid drops out of the clutches and tubes. When you fill it, start the engine, set the brake, run the shifter through all the gears, slowly. After all the clutches have engaged, put it in park and let the excess fluid drain out the center hole. Put the plug in, THEN turn the engine off.

thanks

I finished draining and dropped the pan and filter. I just don't think this will solve my issue.

nothing but sludge on magnet. filter looks a little dirty but not horrible. fluid looked ok.

symptoms:
started months ago with slow to engage in reverse. I'd let it sit for a minute or two and try again and it went in reverse fine.

in the last two weeks, the following happened:

1. it stopped forward drive for a few minutes but returned and did fine for about 2 weeks.
2. just stopped forward motion in the middle of a road. barely would inch forward regardless of gear. reverse had same result.
then after about 10 minutes, 3rd gear engaged and drove ok the rest of the way home.
3.tonight driving into the garage. put into 3rd gear and it felt engaged but about 5 seconds later it really engaged and drove ok up onto the ramps.

so there you go.

anything I can look at while I'm into it this far prior to reassembling?

I hope you get the answer to this because mine is sometimes slow to start in the morning. Dropping out after it's in gear seems like my condition, only getting worse.:eek::(

What did you put in for fluid? Use Mercon V only. I do a filter and fluid annually as I tow a 3500 lbs dry trailer to the lake in the summer as well as a boat on other weekends. A fluid and filter will require 5.5 quarts of fluid replacement. The transmission needs to be at operational temperature to fill. you fill the centre of the plug with the engine running, then allow it to flow out, with the engine running until it becomes a drip. Then bolt the centre torx in.

What did you put in for fluid? Use Mercon V only. I do a filter and fluid annually as I tow a 3500 lbs dry trailer to the lake in the summer as well as a boat on other weekends. A fluid and filter will require 5.5 quarts of fluid replacement. The transmission needs to be at operational temperature to fill. you fill the centre of the plug with the engine running, then allow it to flow out, with the engine running until it becomes a drip. Then bolt the centre torx in.

I am using Mercon V and have 6 qts ready to go but haven't refilled yet. I have doubts that this is the cause and was wondering if there's anything else I can check before reassembling and filling.

and thanks for the reply....

Try torquing down all the bolts in the valve body while you are in there. How brown was the fluid? Did it smell burnt?

detected no odor at all really. still had redness to the color.

worth taking off the solenoid pack to inspect? Can i even see anything?

Could run a resistance check on the connector, doubt you could see anything pulling it off. Probably a pretty good chance of damaging the gasket if you did pull it off.

I'm going to try to define the question: What is in charge of shifting into reverse and first, and keeping it in gear?
The fluid level, the pick-up screen, the front pump, the pressure regulator, and then some combination of valves. Which valves engage first and reverse, and is there any way to check them from the bottom?

well changing the fluid and filter did not help.

how do I get it out of limp mode (if it is in limp mode). if it is, will that prevent it from working? basically have no reverse or D. 3rd seems to engage though.

well changing the fluid and filter did not help.

how do I get it out of limp mode (if it is in limp mode). if it is, will that prevent it from working? basically have no reverse or D. 3rd seems to engage though.
@Dadsvette1981
You really need to check for trouble codes. If you ARE in limp mode, the dtc P2106 "Forced Limited Power" will be present. I cannot tell you offhand if internal mechanical failure will cause limp mode. JK080 would know. Stands to reason if relatively minor failure occurs, like one gear lost, limp mode might derail trouble analysis.

"worth taking off the solenoid pack to inspect? Can i even see anything?"
Nothing can be gained by looking at them, unless of course one looks really abnormal. Here again, solenoid failures electrical in nature cause trouble codes. Mechanical failure, sticking, breakage of plunger guide, etc., harder to detect, unless crumbled pieces of metal are found.

I may be wrong on this, but seem to recall all or most gears in D as well as R, provide power through a one-way sprag clutch. Think 3, 2, 1 does not. So finger points at sprag clutch failure, if memory serves. In any event, get codes, find out if maybe disassembly may not be necessary. imp

thanks, I do have a hand held tuner that reads trouble codes. i tried it but it refused to communicate with this car. I ended up bringing it to a trusted mechanic and his first action was to hook up the scanner. I haven't heard anything from him yet.

the more I read and watched the more I felt that this was out of my league so I punted.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I have a 02 XLS and it lost all forward gears but has reverse any Ideas no codes dropped pan and had clean none burnt fluid and no metal

Back