Transmission Cooler Failure - Next Steps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler Failure - Next Steps?

Toyfare

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
My wife was out of town for work with our 2020 Explorer XLT (49,000mi.) and she noticed the transmission was shifting harder than usual. She was with four other coworkers in the car on the way back (~160 mile trip) when she called me to let me know it was getting really bad. She was able to get home safely, but I think the transmission may be toast. There was an obvious leak at the transmission cooler, and the whole underside of the vehicle was covered in fluid. We just bought the Explorer in July, and it's still covered by the Ford CPO Gold comprehensive warranty. My question is, what is the current lead time for a transmission assembly? I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow, and hopefully I can get some information. It would be nice to get a loaner, as I fear the lead time is about 1 month on parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the fluid level in the transmission? Most are very sensitive to pressure and flow and will shift poorly if low on fluid. however, if it didn’t get too low it may be fine once it’s filled.

For future reference - if an automatic trans mission is shifting poorly, the absolute first step is to check the fluid level. If the leak is not too severe you can just keep adding more fluid until you can get it fixed. I’ve managed to drive home several hundred miles using this method.

What is the fluid level in the transmission? Most are very sensitive to pressure and flow and will shift poorly if low on fluid. however, if it didn’t get too low it may be fine once it’s filled.

For future reference - if an automatic trans mission is shifting poorly, the absolute first step is to check the fluid level. If the leak is not too severe you can just keep adding more fluid until you can get it fixed. I’ve managed to drive home several hundred miles using this method.
I understand that completely. Unfortunately, my wife was 3 hours away, and the only way to check the fluid is to crawl under the vehicle, take off the 19mm nut, and access the dipstick. Not necessarily easily checked. She did look for leaks, but there was nothing on the ground. The fluid was probably only coming out while the engine/trans pump was pushing fluid through the cooler.

My thoughts are, how did this car get sold to me without the trans cooler being replaced? There was a recall requiring all vehicles from Oct '18 to Sept '20 to have it replaced before delivery. This vehicle was delivered 4/25/20.

The warranty is paying for the tow. I guess we'll see what the diagnosis is.

I understand that completely. Unfortunately, my wife was 3 hours away, and the only way to check the fluid is to crawl under the vehicle, take off the 19mm nut, and access the dipstick. Not necessarily easily checked. She did look for leaks, but there was nothing on the ground. The fluid was probably only coming out while the engine/trans pump was pushing fluid through the cooler.

My thoughts are, how did this car get sold to me without the trans cooler being replaced? There was a recall requiring all vehicles from Oct '18 to Sept '20 to have it replaced before delivery. This vehicle was delivered 4/25/20.

The warranty is paying for the tow. I guess we'll see what the diagnosis is.
You are still covered under Ford's 5 year, 60k mile powertrain warranty as well.

Peter

Really it will be more about how long till they can fit you in the schedule. My dealership which is really good is typically 2-3 weeks out right now for service. Parts aren't the issue. There was a TSB for the trans cooler so replacing it should get you back on the road.

About a month and a half ago while mine was at the dealer for an oil change, they discovered mine was leaking. It was only a small drip at this point so they told me to just keep driving it until the part came in. 3 weeks later it came in and I made the appointment to get it changed. I was in and out in about 6 hours and all is good now.

Unfortunately no way to check the transmission fluid. If I am not correct please tell me how. I cannot find a dip stick, I asked the service manager at dealership and he advised that the system is sealed and cannot be checked. Hopefully I am wrong???

Pretty much a month out at the dealership I work at and then there's the wait for parts after that!! We've lost two very experienced technicians this year and the rest of us are aging (I'm 60) and pretty much tired/worn out by the industry and how technicians are treated/paid. If your explorer truly has the recall open it should have never been sold and you might be able to use that to help get a bump in getting it looked at, good luck!!

Rather than just replacing the trans cooler, I would want them to replace the transmission also. The heat could damage the frictions in the clutch packs, especially if there was any excessive slippage. It could have damaged the bushings and thrust washers, again due to excessive heat.
There is NO WAY to know the extent of the damage without physically taking it apart. You could also have a damaged pump as the pump may have been run 'dry', causing again, excessive heat. The heat could have damaged the 'slippers' or the gear faces and sides, leading to failure in the future due to excessive clearance or leakage.
I would not accept anything less if I had the opportunity... Depending on your situation, if you cannot convince them of the possible damage, then at least get them to provide an extended warranty... I would want a 100k coverage as the damage(if it occurred, LIKELY in my opinion) may not present until some miles down the road.
There is no way, IMO again, that a transmission driven 160 miles, or 3 hours with low fluid, low enough to cause shifting/operation difficulties, did not suffer some damage from overheating.
At least ask to speak to their transmission mechanic. A good transmission mechanic should be able to agree/disagree and give the reasons why...(unless instructed what to say beforehand)
tom

Rather than just replacing the trans cooler, I would want them to replace the transmission also. The heat could damage the frictions in the clutch packs, especially if there was any excessive slippage. It could have damaged the bushings and thrust washers, again due to excessive heat.
There is NO WAY to know the extent of the damage without physically taking it apart. You could also have a damaged pump as the pump may have been run 'dry', causing again, excessive heat. The heat could have damaged the 'slippers' or the gear faces and sides, leading to failure in the future due to excessive clearance or leakage.
I would not accept anything less if I had the opportunity... Depending on your situation, if you cannot convince them of the possible damage, then at least get them to provide an extended warranty... I would want a 100k coverage as the damage(if it occurred, LIKELY in my opinion) may not present until some miles down the road.
There is no way, IMO again, that a transmission driven 160 miles, or 3 hours with low fluid, low enough to cause shifting/operation difficulties, did not suffer some damage from overheating.
At least ask to speak to their transmission mechanic. A good transmission mechanic should be able to agree/disagree and give the reasons why...(unless instructed what to say beforehand)
tom
All good points on the related damage but it's hard to convince Ford on that and a Dealership can't prove damage without tear down and you can't do that unless there's an issue after the leak is repaired. I can't speak for other technicians, but I don't talk to customers as a general rule that's my service advisor's job not mine.

Time for an update, we got our Explorer back on Tuesday after nearly 2 weeks at the dealer. Apparently the transmission cooler was not the culprit, and they fixed it following TSB 20-2337 (20-2337 Ford Technical Service Bulletin). They replaced the front support assembly and the clutch pack assembly, and a bunch of gasket/seals. Sounds like a total transmission rebuild. The vehicle shifts buttery smooth now, and honestly drives/shifts better than it did before.

Great to hear that you found a dealership that got it fixed for you!

My 2005 doesn't have a transmission dip stick and if the idiots stopped providing a dipsticks in way back then I don't think the would start putting one in again a few years later. One of the stupidest things they have done IMO. How many transmissions have failed at the owners expense by this stupid move so they could save a few dollars. Glad you got it fixed on their dime.

Time for an update, we got our Explorer back on Tuesday after nearly 2 weeks at the dealer. Apparently the transmission cooler was not the culprit, and they fixed it following TSB 20-2337 (20-2337 Ford Technical Service Bulletin). They replaced the front support assembly and the clutch pack assembly, and a bunch of gasket/seals. Sounds like a total transmission rebuild. The vehicle shifts buttery smooth now, and honestly drives/shifts better than it did before.
I think i may be in the same boat. From the day you called them How long did it take for them to get it in and look at it? Did they provide a loaner?

I think i may be in the same boat. From the day you called them How long did it take for them to get it in and look at it? Did they provide a loaner?
I had it towed to the dealership and it took them a couple days to look at it. Overall our Explorer was at the dealership for 12 days, no loaner was provided. I asked about a loaner, but they kept saying they would provide one if they couldn't get it fixed by XX day.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As per the Warranty Guide, Ford is not obligated to provide a loaner or a rental. If a loaner is supplied, it is at the dealer's cost.
"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

Peter

Back