Transmission cooler fitting o-rings / fluid check? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission cooler fitting o-rings / fluid check?

DavidEBSmith

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Mountaineer Premier
Is there a standard size for the transmission cooler fitting o-rings and if so, what is it, or are there differences depending on the radiator?

Had the radiator replaced Feb 2017 with an unknown aftermarket radiator. Recently noticed a fluid leak which turned out to be transmission fluid from the fittings where the cooler lines go into the radiator. The shop that replaced the radiator said the o-rings on the fittings had hardened and were leaking, so they replaced them with "better" ones which apparently cured the leak. (And charged $0 for the job!).

But I thought it might be nice to have a set of o-rings on hand in case it starts leaking in another 18 months.

Also, if I want to check the fluid level on this transmission, it's through the filler hole? Is it accessible from above or do I have to get under the truck to check it?

(It's a 2007 Mountaineer V-8. )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new radiator should have come with new O rings. They didn't charge you because they knew they screwed it up when they replaced the radiator. Glad they stepped up and took care of it though.
The transmission fluid dipstick is on the transmission on the passenger side toward the front. It has to be checked from underneath the vehicle at full operating temperature and it is right next to an exhaust pipe. I requires a wrench to remove. If you want to do this I would start searching the web for the procedure so you are prepared.

yep, like Eddy said. 19mm wrench, truck level and somehow you need to know the temperature of the tranny fluid (needs to be above 185 I believe).
You need a scanner and firemen gloves :)
Not kidding here.....

185f sounds like you gotta check it after a long drive in the summer maybe even towing up hill

185f sounds like you gotta check it after a long drive in the summer maybe even towing up hill
Nope. It will hit that temp within probably about 15 minutes of stress free driving - that was my experience with monitoring it with my tablet and ForScan. As I understand it, the transmission will not send fluid through the cooler until it reaches that temp. So normal driving will take it to that temp and once it gets there, it will start cooling itself. I think that is part of the reason people advise against a fluid flush on these transmissions.

Nope. It will hit that temp within probably about 15 minutes of stress free driving - that was my experience with monitoring it with my tablet and ForScan. As I understand it, the transmission will not send fluid through the cooler until it reaches that temp. So normal driving will take it to that temp and once it gets there, it will start cooling itself. I think that is part of the reason people advise against a fluid flush on these transmissions.

thats pretty interesting, so the 6r80 must have a different stratagy than a 5r55 since I can drive stress free 80mph in 20f for 30 minutes and not break 140f... one time in band camp I somehow turned my OD off and didnt notice it for an hour and only figured it out because I was at 185f and even in the summer on a 4 hr drive its hard to cross 170f

Back