• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cross Reference.

joem

Reaction score
City, State
gulfport, ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
hi, great forum you have, . i have 1993 explorer 2wd a/t and i need a new transmission. i know that it is the a4ld, i found a rebuilt a4ld with 30,000 miles on it out of a 1994 aerostar 3.0 are these the same ? thanks in advance. joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

or does anyone know where to get this info?? i tried the dealer , he wasnt100% sure

I thought the 3.0 used a different bellhousing bolt pattern. It would probably work ok if the bellhousings are removable. If not, I'm reasonably sure that you can't swap from a 3.0 to a 4.0.

_____________________Years____Speeds__Transmission Model

AEROSTAR_____________86-95____4________A4LD
AEROSTAR-(3.0L)_______96-97____4________4R44E
AEROSTAR-(4.0L)_______1996_____4________4R55E
AEROSTAR-(4.0L)_______1997_____5________5R55E

(I copied this from the link above)
(it's very hard to maintain columns)

<Corrected with information from mmerlinn's post below>

well this seems to have answered the basic interchangability question i had. after spending the last couple of hours gleening from the wealth of knowledge all of you provide here it appears it may be something of a less complicated nature (wishful thinking of course). ill double check my T's n I's from the bottom up n be back with an update. U folks are of an unequalled caliber of generosity as well as info n patience n i thank you for the forward push you've given. Heeeerre we go!

_____________________Years____Speed___Transmission Model

AEROSTAR_____________82-86____3________C5
AEROSTAR_____________85-95____4________A4LD
AEROSTAR-(3.0L)_______96-97____4________4R44E
AEROSTAR-(4.0L)_______1996_____4________4R55E
AEROSTAR-(4.0L)_______1997_____5________5R55E

(I copied this from the link above)
(very hard to maintain columns)

The first Aerostar was made on July 18th, 1985 for the 1986 model year, so that chart is incorrect. Also, no C5 bell housing was ever made to fit any 86 Aerostar motor, so C5s never came in Aerostars.

The rest of the chart is correct.

Aerostars came with 2.3L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, and 4.0L engines. A 4.0L bell will fit a 2.9L engine, but not vice versa. All other engines have unique bell housing patterns and are not interchangeable. Some bell housings swap, but if you don't line up the pump correctly, they will leak or worse.

There are NUMEROUS bell housings for A4LD transmissions and more for the 4R44E, 4R55E, & 5R55E transmissions.

Yes, I know: old thread/new member, but...

no C5 bell housing was ever made to fit any 86 Aerostar motor, so C5s never came in Aerostars.

Are you saying that 83-85 Rangers/BII's with the 2.8 never got the C5? :wtf:

I know the 2.8 was an 86-only option, and that the Ranger/BII had gone to the 2.9 by 86, but there most certainly IS a bellhousing that is a direct fit between the C5 and the 2.8/2.9

Back