• Register Today It's free!

Transmission: D does not work

Stick_man

Reaction score
City, State
NYC, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V6 SOHC
I tried looking in the search but nothing really came up.

Anyway D does not work. I had to turn around and drive back home like 5 miles in the 2. All of the other gears work. The tranny fluid looks like old used motor oil. I got 181k on it. The Check Engine light is on as well. Not sure if it's related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what the question is, however, black trans fluid is a direct indication of overheated fluid and/or burned clutches/bands. No solution other than a complete teardown and rebuild of clutches, steels, bands, seals, servos, gaskets, solenoids, and any other part that may have literally turned to toast.

Doesn't move in 'D'? Have you tried to start in '2', then when you reach speed (25 mph), shift to 'D', then all seems okay: Goes to 3rd, 4th, O/D? If so, your sprag in the back of the tranny failed. Factory has nylon sprag holder cage, which, when it gets really hot, like when you try to rock out of snow--drive to reverse to drive to reverse--the nylon melts and becomes a lubricant and doesn't allow the sprag fingers to grip any more.

Doesn't move in 'D'? Have you tried to start in '2', then when you reach speed (25 mph), shift to 'D', then all seems okay: Goes to 3rd, 4th, O/D? If so, your sprag in the back of the tranny failed. Factory has nylon sprag holder cage, which, when it gets really hot, like when you try to rock out of snow--drive to reverse to drive to reverse--the nylon melts and becomes a lubricant and doesn't allow the sprag fingers to grip any more.

I guess my question is - is the tranny basically toast and nothing short of a 1000-plus dollar repair is going to bring this thing back?

All the other gears work. Turning O/D on or off does not change anything.

No I never tried driving 25 mph in 2 and then put it in D. What would be the point of that?

What you can do is perform a pan drop and change the filter and clean the pan and inspect the bottom of the pan for debris before cleaning it. You dont wont to remove ALL the fluid, just what drained out from dropping the transmission oil pan. If you do the pan drop yourself, it should not cost more than what you need for fluid and the filter kit, drain pan, and disposal of the used fluid is usually provided at auto parts stores for free. If you pay a shop to do it, they will probably try to talk you into a rebuild, after all, it is their job.

I guess my question is - is the tranny basically toast and nothing short of a 1000-plus dollar repair is going to bring this thing back?

All the other gears work. Turning O/D on or off does not change anything.

No I never tried driving 25 mph in 2 and then put it in D. What would be the point of that?
The point would be to see if the sprag is your problem. If it is, and all other gears shift properly, then you know what hard parts you have to buy when you take your transmission apart. The transmission depends on the sprag holding when it starts out in first. If you start out in '2', there is no need for the sprag to hold. Nevertheless, if you have a bad sprag, the transmission has to come out. So while you're at it you should rebuild it with new clutches and seals and o-rings. If you're not a mechanic, then break out your checkbook.

What you can do is perform a pan drop and change the filter and clean the pan and inspect the bottom of the pan for debris before cleaning it. You dont wont to remove ALL the fluid, just what drained out from dropping the transmission oil pan. If you do the pan drop yourself, it should not cost more than what you need for fluid and the filter kit, drain pan, and disposal of the used fluid is usually provided at auto parts stores for free. If you pay a shop to do it, they will probably try to talk you into a rebuild, after all, it is their job.

The poin tof that is to check debris at the bottom of the pan? I can almost guarantee there will be some. What bearing would it have if there is or isn't? You don't mean to imply no shavings in the pan means putting new fluid in it and giving it a go? I put new fluid in already -- like 1/2 a quart -- it might even be overfilled now. I see no difference in performance

I doubt I can take apart a tranny and rebuild it.

But How much work would it be to buy one from a junk yard and install it?

I doubt I can take apart a tranny and rebuild it.

But How much work would it be to buy one from a junk yard and install it?
Cost of a used transmission depends on alot of things. You will have to call around, look to see if in your area available the "BArly used Auto parts" network, they give warranties on parts they sell and are know good in working condition, I have used them many times without a problem but dont know if they exist in your area, it is worth a shot.

Back